Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 18:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (02:18) correct 45% (00:55) wrong based on 17 sessions
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see
them as they were during
the formation of the universe.
(A) we see them as they were during
(B) we see them as they had been during
(C) we see them as if during
(D) they appear to us as they did in
(E) they appear to us as though in
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 03:46
My intuition says that choices A and D comes close

I will choose D over A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 03:47
please post official answer and the source of the question
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 694 [3] , given: 11

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Just thought I'd weigh in on this one, since the official answer seems to be lacking.

The answer is A. In C, the "during" is unclear, because it makes it sound as if WE are seeing them NOW as if we were seeing them during the formation of the universe. This isn't the intended meaning of the sentence.

In D, the comparison is incorrect. It makes it sound as if they appear to us NOW as they appeared to us during the formation of the universe. But we weren't there back then. Sadly. E does this in an even more egregious way.

In A and B, we have to choose between the past tense and the past perfect. However, we should only be concerned about the tenses in the independent clause that comes after the semicolon. The only verb there is "see" which is in the present, so we only need to use the simple past tense to express an action occurring BEFORE the "see" action. The only time we would need past perfect would be if we had a verb in the clause that was already in the past tense, and we wanted to express an action occurring before THAT.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see
them as they were during the formation of the universe.

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:42
Hi Tommy,
I did not not undersatand your explanation. Do you mind elaborate - A vs D

we see them as they were during vs they appear to us as they did in

we see them as they were during - we see the Quasars as Quasars were during Does'nt this mean that we "currently" see Quasars as Quasars were in the past(during the formation of the universe)

they appear to us as they did in Quasars appear to us as Quasars did inQuasars looks the same as they were in the past

i think - both mean the same.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Regards

ms
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 47

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
ms wrote:
Hi Tommy,
I did not not undersatand your explanation. Do you mind elaborate - A vs D

we see them as they were during vs they appear to us as they did in

we see them as they were during - we see the Quasars as Quasars were during Does'nt this mean that we "currently" see Quasars as Quasars were in the past(during the formation of the universe)

they appear to us as they did in Quasars appear to us as Quasars did inQuasars looks the same as they were in the past

i think - both mean the same.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Regards

ms

No.. there is slight misunderstanding in your second statement...
they appear to us as they did in - actually gives an impression that you saw them before (during formation) and hence you comment that they look like they did in the past.... once you see them again...currently..

But the first statement.... gives an impression that u see them as you have known about them during formation... it does NOT give an impression that you travelled back in time and saw them forming... and hence it is correct..

Hope this helps... else Tommy would respond back to you on this...!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 11

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:43
JT is absolutely right. Thanks for clarifying that one for me.

In the correct answer, we have "as they were", the "they" being the quasars, the "were" being merely the action of being.

In D, we have "as they did", the "they" being the quasars, the "did" standing in for "appear to us". They could not have appeared to us in the distant past, because we weren't around.

Hopefully that helps. Thanks again, JT!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 47

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:57
TommyWallach wrote:
JT is absolutely right. Thanks for clarifying that one for me.

In the correct answer, we have "as they were", the "they" being the quasars, the "were" being merely the action of being.

In D, we have "as they did", the "they" being the quasars, the "did" standing in for "appear to us". They could not have appeared to us in the distant past, because we weren't around.

Hopefully that helps. Thanks again, JT!

-tommy

Anytime Tommy.... :) :beer

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: SC-Quasars [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 19:47
Thanks JT and Tommy.

The explanation was very helpful.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 54

Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 19:34
Bumping up this post for certain clarifications.

them as they were during

In the first look, I chose 'D' but understood that 'D' is wrong after a 2-3 minute analysis --> in the exam, I willnot have that comfort. So, some quick doubts.

Doubt 1.
When two independent clauses are separated by a semicolon or a co-ordinating conjunction, shouldn't the construction be of the type
subject + phrase ; subject/subject pronoun + phrase?

So construction Quasars are so distant .... ; they appear .... should be correct, correct?

Please let me know not from the PoV of the above question

Doubt 2. Suppose I rephrase the option D as
they appear to us as they were during
Would 'D' be a more preferred choice than 'A' ?

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [0], given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 23:42
Hello sivasanjeev
My opinion for your doubt.

sivasanjeev wrote:
Doubt 1.
When two independent clauses are separated by a semicolon or a co-ordinating conjunction, shouldn't the construction be of the type
subject + phrase ; subject/subject pronoun + phrase?

So construction Quasars are so distant .... ; they appear .... should be correct, correct?

First, a semicolon is used to separate two clauses, the first clause is main, the second clause is dependent (it can't stand alone). There is no definition as in your structure (S + V; repeated S + V). All we need to pay attention is meaning. The second clause must be matched with the first one in meaning. Thus, Option A is correct.

Quote:
Doubt 2. Suppose I rephrase the option D as
they appear to us as they were during
Would 'D' be a more preferred choice than 'A' ?

I would say your own sentence is wrong. "Appear" is main verb that expresses what Quasars did (particular action). However "were" is NOT a main verb, but auxiliary verb that expresses how the Quasars were (characteristics). --> Technically, characteristics and action can't be used interchangeably. Thus, the sentence is wrong in both grammar and meaning.
Let see another example:
He played a soccer game very well as he was ..... <== Does it make sense? Nope! "played" expresses what he did. "was" expresses how he was/ his characteristic.

Hope it makes sense.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 54

Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 06:08
Hi,
I appreciate your response and I comply with it too.

But one point. Semicolon connects two independent clauses (which are closely related.) That's why I asked if there is a rule that says "the two independent clauses must be parallel, with pronoun-subject of the second referring to the subject of the first.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 07:17
jitendra wrote:
them as they were during

the hard point in ellipsis is that all the clause is ommited. C ilustrate this hard point. whenever we see conjuction+preposition used as adverbial, it is possible that all the clause is omitted.

C means

we see them as if we see them dering the formation of the uviverse.

we we can make full the ellipsis, we realize the meaning problem in C.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2013, 07:17