I appreciate the work you have been doing to help applicants clear up their queries. Please take time to answer mine too
Indian IT Male, 28 yrs.
GMAT 700, TOEFL 110
Target Schools: Foster, Olin, Kelley, Fisher, Tepper, Ross, Georgia, McCombs
1) I am applying to foster school of business. I have started the application process and submitted a name for one of the recommenders. He informed me that there is just 300 characters
max length to describe how long he has known me. Not words
. Isn't 300 character too short?
2) On the other hand, they have also given the recommender an option to write the recommendation in a separate doc and upload the same on the portal. In this case, how will they check the 300 character limit?
3) About my profile. I have 5 years IT experience. 3 years in TCS. After 3 years, I quit TCS to join a small scale local IT firm, with just 30 employees and no internet presence. The clients are usually local medium scale enterprises. Since one recommendation has to be from a current supervisor, I will have to give the name of one. But he has no official ID. we communicate over gmail or yahoo even for business purposes. Will this be considered for my evaluation? Also does working in a small scale company hamper my chances of admission?
4) A question about resume: should we mention our interests/hobbies on the resume. If yes, can it be as generic as watching movies or listening music.
5) I took a one year gap after my high school to gain admission in the IIT's. But unfortunately i didn't. Should I mention this in the optional essay ?
6) I understand that the schools look for leadership experiences in the past. What if I have never worked in a leadership position? Although the project involves various tasks that involve traits of a manager, but these aren't exactly leadership material. So how should I proceed about this?
7) Finally, considering my traditional indian IT profile, could admissionado
help me get into my target schools with a decent scholarship?
Hey there dude!
Good to hear from you. Let me try and help you out. Let's just jump straight into your questions:
1. Maybe, but their limit is their limit, so he should stick to it.
2. They can't. And they don't. Meaning YOU are under the OBLIGATION as an applicant to stick to their limits, but recommenders have no such obligation, and can send in a one page recommendation or a twenty five page one as they see fit (whether this is a good idea, and whether this helps you is another question!) But basically, if your recommender feels like he needs more space and uses 1000 characters instead of 300, you have nothing to worry about then either.
3. Hmmmmm. Well the question is: if you know this person virtually are they really the good choice for your recommender? I mean, usually I recommend that you select people who LOVE you (I mean personally as well as professionally). If you honestly think he will write a fantastic rec, then he can be a great choice why not?
4. Better not. Everyone listens to music and watches movies. Write something ONLY if it ADDS (and this applies to everything)
5. No need to. It's before college.
6. Well, lots of folks apply to Bschool with no prior leadership. But you do need to what what you DO have and make it as strong as can be, and do what you can to at least show PROMISE of future leadership.
7. Of course we can help! We have lots of Indian clients, and with great results. Does it mean you will for sure get in? I can't say that, but you will have a far more amazing application, as well as an understanding of what the business schools look for and want, and have help all along in managing your applications and strategizing them as well.
Just drop us a line here: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/
Admissionado | Packages | School Guides | Team
If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!