Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Query about gmat preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Query about gmat preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 03:17
Hi,
Some of my friends who have already given GMAT are suggesting me not to study any other author besides the official guide and official guide verbal review or official guide quantitative review. Do you think i should really consider this advise seriously????? :|
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 11

Re: Query about gmat preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 03:59
mugdha,

I doubt if you should seriously follow this advice. The OG and supplements are great for review and practice, but they will not provide you with the full range of skills you will need to do exceedingly well on the GMAT. The GMAT requires more practice and greater concept building than the official guides can provide you.

The official guides, in today's day and age, are necessary but not sufficient for GMAT preparation. Use them for practice, but make sure your concepts are in place through any other guide that you need.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: Query about gmat preparation [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 01:39
Expert's post
mugdha wrote:
Hi,
Some of my friends who have already given GMAT are suggesting me not to study any other author besides the official guide and official guide verbal review or official guide quantitative review. Do you think i should really consider this advise seriously????? :|

I would not doubt the intentions of your friends. Certainly, no one can do without OG. Whenever you take a test, you do go through the past papers, don't you? For some people, it could be sufficient. Say, if you are a Quant jock and are pretty comfortable with concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry etc, all you may need is checking out the type of questions specific to GMAT. If you are very comfortable with English and have been doing RCs since school time, you may not need anything other than the Verbal guide and OG12. If you know your grammar well and instinctively know what is right, what is wrong, you may be good to go.

However, OG is not written to help you prepare for the test. It is written to show what kind of questions are asked in GMAT (or were asked a few yrs back in GMAT). If you feel you need to go through the theory of mixtures or TSD or Inequalities or CR etc, OG will not be very helpful. You do not get detailed theory of various topics in OG. You do not get many high level questions in OG (the actual test is much harder now).

So if you feel that all you need is some practice to get rolling, by all means stick with OG. After all, it is closest to what you will see on the test. But if you need concept clarifications, critical reasoning explanations, many high level practice questions etc, you will need to check out some prep provider's material too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Query about gmat preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 10:07
Hi, This is sandeep, looking forward to take GMAT this year. I'm a bit confused and therefore not able to concentrate on my studies. Reason for my confusion or dilemma is because of my average acads (X-58%, XII-65%, Graduation - 65% and Post Graduation - 71%). With these acads would i be able to make to the IIM'S or the ISB'S. I am a working professional having an experience of 5.5 years in IT industry. Guys ! really need some guidance here.
Re: Query about gmat preparation   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2012, 10:07