Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Query Regarding GMAT score and application

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:07
Hi
I have just given my GMAT and scored 710(Q50/V35).
I will be applying after 3 years because I want to collect some valuable work experience first.
My question is - will the top 30 B schools in US accept the score or ask me to take the GMAT again?
My profile is
GMAT (1st attempt) 710 (Q 50, V 35)
GPA - Approx 3.5 (Didnt have a GPA system in my college. Percentage was used)
Extra Curricular - Good
Work Exp - 3 years (At the time of application)

I mean would I stand a fair chance in the following colleges
Carnegie Mellon - Tepper
MIT Sloan
Duke Fuqua
Indian School of business
Kenan Flagler
NUS
Please help as it would direct my decisions as to when should i apply.
Gaurav
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12213
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8886 [1] , given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 14:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 02:47
bb wrote:
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.


Hey bb, thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Anyways as you said that my score is good for application 3 years from now.
But I have read in this forum that schools do not prefer scores older than 3yrs. What do you make of that?
Your suggestion will really help me. I dont want to apply in haste this year itself but want to gather some WE first.

Gaurav

P.S. - I will say this again - "FAST, PROMPT N APROPOS REPLIES - A TRADEMARK OF GMATCLUB !"
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12213
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8886 [1] , given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 18:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gaurav05nov wrote:
bb wrote:
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.


Hey bb, thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Anyways as you said that my score is good for application 3 years from now.
But I have read in this forum that schools do not prefer scores older than 3yrs. What do you make of that?
Your suggestion will really help me. I dont want to apply in haste this year itself but want to gather some WE first.

Gaurav

P.S. - I will say this again - "FAST, PROMPT N APROPOS REPLIES - A TRADEMARK OF GMATCLUB !"



:) Fast and prompt replies happen when I am not sleeping or not gone on a business trip (which I am now now).
I have no experience with the 3-year rule and can't comment but I would guess it depends on the school. Officially it is 5 years.

However, let me ask you a question - let's assume that schools do prefer GMAT to be 3 years or fresher - what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4841
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 08:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bb wrote:
gaurav05nov wrote:
bb wrote:
Your score is pretty good for the schools - very much on target. They usually do not favor higher gmat scores, so there may not be a very strong case for you to try again for some extra points. GMAT is good for 5 years, so you should be good. There is a plan to change the format of the GMAT in 2013/2014, but that should not impact you either, as both scores will be valid for a while.


Hey bb, thanks for the prompt reply. :)

Anyways as you said that my score is good for application 3 years from now.
But I have read in this forum that schools do not prefer scores older than 3yrs. What do you make of that?
Your suggestion will really help me. I dont want to apply in haste this year itself but want to gather some WE first.

Gaurav

P.S. - I will say this again - "FAST, PROMPT N APROPOS REPLIES - A TRADEMARK OF GMATCLUB !"


I agree with bb's reply. Schools accept scores for up to 5 years. The 3-year "rule" sounds to me like internet rumor.

Best,
Linda Abraham
:) Fast and prompt replies happen when I am not sleeping or not gone on a business trip (which I am now now).
I have no experience with the 3-year rule and can't comment but I would guess it depends on the school. Officially it is 5 years.

However, let me ask you a question - let's assume that schools do prefer GMAT to be 3 years or fresher - what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 11:01
Quote:
I agree with bb's reply. Schools accept scores for up to 5 years. The 3-year "rule" sounds to me like internet rumor.


Linda, Coming from an authority like you, it sounds like a valid point that the rumour is ....well a rumor only.
Now I will be able to concentrate on my job for a while :) ...I dont see any purpose in applying w/o W.E.

Quote:
what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.


And bb, I will working for an IT MNC and I have plans to improve my Extra Curriculars in all possible ways. So thats that.
And ya I didnt understand this -
Quote:
I would not worry about your materials.

Are you talking about my profile?

One final pesky question - Is my percentile ratio (Q 93%, V 73%) good enough for the top B-schools, as there are
lots of posts talking about balanced percentile scores(80%,80%) preferred by the best schools.

Thanks for your encouraging words. Please reply to the queries ASAP.
I will be looking forward to suggestions from you in future also. :-D
GAURAV
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 12:45
bb, and Linda ..
I request you to kindly bear with me and reply the aforementioned queries... :dunnow :pray
GAURAV
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4841
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 22:37
Expert's post
gaurav05nov wrote:
Quote:
I agree with bb's reply. Schools accept scores for up to 5 years. The 3-year "rule" sounds to me like internet rumor.


Linda, Coming from an authority like you, it sounds like a valid point that the rumour is ....well a rumor only.
Now I will be able to concentrate on my job for a while :) ...I dont see any purpose in applying w/o W.E.

Quote:
what are you going to do about that in the next 2 years? Unless i am missing something, it is a mute point right now - it is not impacting you either way since you are not applying for a few years and I would not worry about your materials. There is a greater chance that you won't have to take the test.


And bb, I will working for an IT MNC and I have plans to improve my Extra Curriculars in all possible ways. So thats that.
And ya I didnt understand this -
Quote:
I would not worry about your materials.

Are you talking about my profile?

One final pesky question - Is my percentile ratio (Q 93%, V 73%) good enough for the top B-schools, as there are
lots of posts talking about balanced percentile scores(80%,80%) preferred by the best schools.

Thanks for your encouraging words. Please reply to the queries ASAP.
I will be looking forward to suggestions from you in future also. :-D
GAURAV


Gaurav,

Your quant percentile is certainly fine. They probably would prefer a higher verbal, but if you have good essays and interviews, and other evidence of communications skills, I don't see that quant on its own as a show-stopper. Remember, that the GMAT, and the verbal score, is not looked at in a vacuum.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 11:35
Thank you Linda for the encouraging reply.
Now I can look forward to the whole application process in a positive light.
:-D
By the way, I would be real nice bb could answer the queries put to him by me.
Thnx again
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 207
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 22:29
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know .. thanks in advance
_________________

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 00:48
Hello Linda,

Sorry to reply on here ; i am seeking your advice as well but not sure if you could take a look at my post in the forum- if for some reason it didnt get through let me know so i can re post ---

Thanks a ton for your help really !
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 02:18
Expert's post
mohan514 wrote:
sir, i am a student planning to appear for my gmat in jan 2012 . i am expecting a score of 720 in gmat. when will i be able to apply for my mba without job experience.should i take my exam earlier than january. if so when and why? please let me know .. thanks in advance

You can take the GMAT as soon as you are ready. It will be valid for 5 years. During that time, you can gain the experience that you will need to apply to the MBA programs.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 27

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 12:11
Thanks a lot. This post helps me a lot. I am in similar boat.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 02:04
Expert's post
avenkatesh007 wrote:
Thanks a lot. This post helps me a lot. I am in similar boat.

It's nice to know someone is out there reading these! :wink:
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 06:22
I graduated from a National Institute Of Technology. I pursued my B-TECH in Computer Science And Engineering. I was never really an exceptional student and have a CGPA of 6 on a 10 pt scale. My GMAT score is 720. I want to apply for MSC courses (Msc finance, Msc management etc). I needed help with regards to the list of colleges to which i should apply considering my CGPA is not that great. I am mostly looking for colleges in Europe.
Thanks.....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 07:52
jenniferbloom wrote:
avenkatesh007 wrote:
Thanks a lot. This post helps me a lot. I am in similar boat.

It's nice to know someone is out there reading these! :wink:



I graduated from a National Institute Of Technology. I pursued my B-TECH in Computer Science And Engineering. I was never really an exceptional student and have a CGPA of 6 on a 10 pt scale. My GMAT score is 720. I want to apply for MSC courses (Msc finance, Msc management etc). I needed help with regards to the list of colleges to which i should apply considering my CGPA is not that great. I am mostly looking for colleges in Europe.
Thanks..... And very sorry to post this here.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Query Regarding GMAT score and application [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 10:59
Hi,
Please find the snapshot of my profile and suggest what should i do.

X- 69.6
XII- 81
B.tech - 68.5
Work ex - 4.5 years in a reputed Telecom company
GMAT - 630 (Q50/V25)
I want to know whether my GMAT score and profile is sufficient for me to get admission in good US college for Management information systems(MIS) course?
OR Should i retake the exam but considering my low score i at least need 40 days for prep and thus will have no/small time for application process.

I am not sure whether this score is suffice for MIS course in a good b school along with scholarships....Please help!!
Some of the universities,which i have short listed are:-
University of Arizona- Eller
University of Cincinnati
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
Texas A & M university- Mays
SUNY


Best Regards
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Query Regarding GMAT Section Score pavan1 2 04 Mar 2011, 10:32
Experts publish their posts in the topic Query regarding GMAT score fightformba 8 28 Mar 2010, 05:59
Query Regarding GMAT Official Score Report ahirjoy 1 24 Mar 2010, 09:30
Experts publish their posts in the topic Query regarding sending scores to school. Saaquib 4 07 Oct 2009, 07:56
Query regarding PhD Finance Application ruhi 5 31 Aug 2007, 23:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Query Regarding GMAT score and application

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.