Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Query regarding PhD Finance Application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Query regarding PhD Finance Application [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 23:22
I used to be a regular poster here about 3 years back, when I was taking my GMAT for the first time to get into an MBA School.

Well, I'm graduating with an MBA in Finance and Accounting in Dec '07. (GPA 4.0/4.0). I want to do a PhD in Finance and I'll probably be applying for Fall 2009. So by that time, I'll have about 1.5 years of work experience and will probably pass all three levels of CFA. I hope to get a Research Analyst role in some asset management firm.

-I have a Bachelor's in Socio-Legal Sciences from a Top 3 Law School in India. (GPA System doesn't apply). I graduated with very good scores though.

- Diploma in Cyber Laws.

- Currently, CFA Level- II Candidate. I'll be taking Level-II in June 2008. I cleared Level- I in June 2007.

-I am also a Graduate Assistant in the Finance Dept. here and work with Professors and help them with their teaching and grading. Apart from this, I have also taught mathematics and chemistry to undergraduates as a part time tutor.

- I have a couple of summer internships in law firms and a summer internship with a local tech. firm here in the US.

-Worked on a couple of project papers in different areas during my MBA. But I don't have any formal publication to my credit.

The first time I took my GMAT, my score was 620 with 6.0/6.0 in AWA. Obviously, I need to re-take it.

My main concern is the fact that I am completing my MBA from a State University, due to personal reasons. I had to basically come here to join my fiancee. So even I could have gotten into a better school, I chose not to do so. Does it matter if the b-school I went to for my MBA is not in the top bracket?

I can get very good reco letters from Profs. who went to Top Bracket schools. That won't be a problem.

Looking at my profile, can someone please tell me what kind of schools should I be looking at?

Let's get it right!!!!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Query regarding PhD Finance Application [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 08:06
ruhi wrote:
I used to be a regular poster here about 3 years back, when I was taking my GMAT for the first time to get into an MBA School.

Well, I'm graduating with an MBA in Finance and Accounting in Dec '07. (GPA 4.0/4.0). I want to do a PhD in Finance and I'll probably be applying for Fall 2009. So by that time, I'll have about 1.5 years of work experience and will probably pass all three levels of CFA. I hope to get a Research Analyst role in some asset management firm.

-I have a Bachelor's in Socio-Legal Sciences from a Top 3 Law School in India. (GPA System doesn't apply). I graduated with very good scores though.

- Diploma in Cyber Laws.

- Currently, CFA Level- II Candidate. I'll be taking Level-II in June 2008. I cleared Level- I in June 2007.

-I am also a Graduate Assistant in the Finance Dept. here and work with Professors and help them with their teaching and grading. Apart from this, I have also taught mathematics and chemistry to undergraduates as a part time tutor.

- I have a couple of summer internships in law firms and a summer internship with a local tech. firm here in the US.

-Worked on a couple of project papers in different areas during my MBA. But I don't have any formal publication to my credit.

The first time I took my GMAT, my score was 620 with 6.0/6.0 in AWA. Obviously, I need to re-take it.

My main concern is the fact that I am completing my MBA from a State University, due to personal reasons. I had to basically come here to join my fiancee. So even I could have gotten into a better school, I chose not to do so. Does it matter if the b-school I went to for my MBA is not in the top bracket?

I can get very good reco letters from Profs. who went to Top Bracket schools. That won't be a problem.

Looking at my profile, can someone please tell me what kind of schools should I be looking at?

There is nothing wrong with state schools- as long as it is AACSB. I don't think that puts you at a huge disadvantage or anything like that. They might scrutinze your transcript more because they are unfamiliar with the program, but your 4.0 shows mastery of the coursework.

your assistanship is a plus, and i don't know about finance... but i am assuming your CFA credentials won't hurt either. all of your teaching experience is good too. only problem is that your GMAT score is probably low for someone who has taught mathematics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 10:32
Hi anonymousegmat,

Thank you very much for your response. My university is the second largest in Missouri. What I meant is that it's not in the top bracket. It's not like it's unknown or anything.

About the GMAT, I took is a very long time ago and I started tutoring only recently. Quants was very good (I got more than 48 in fact) and so was AWA. The Verbal RC totally screwed up my score. Anyway, I do plan to re-take it.

Can you tell me what kind of schools I should be looking at? I really want to do a PhD only from the Top 20. If I don't get into the Top Schools, then I won't do it.

Let's get it right!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 18:08
ruhi wrote:
Hi anonymousegmat,

Thank you very much for your response. My university is the second largest in Missouri. What I meant is that it's not in the top bracket. It's not like it's unknown or anything.

About the GMAT, I took is a very long time ago and I started tutoring only recently. Quants was very good (I got more than 48 in fact) and so was AWA. The Verbal RC totally screwed up my score. Anyway, I do plan to re-take it.

Can you tell me what kind of schools I should be looking at? I really want to do a PhD only from the Top 20. If I don't get into the Top Schools, then I won't do it.

i don't know anyting about finance... so i don't know what the top programs are. i am still trying to figure out what the top programs are in my disclipne :)

what kind of research are you interested in doing? start looking in journals for articles that interest you, look at who is writing them. look at where they teach. look at who they cite and where they teach. those are YOUR top programs.

PhD is very personal. you are gonna spend 4-6 years working with people , researching and teaching... you need to be working for professors who interest you or else you will be miserable!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 18:54
anonymousegmat wrote:
ruhi wrote:
Hi anonymousegmat,

i don't know anyting about finance... so i don't know what the top programs are. i am still trying to figure out what the top programs are in my disclipne :)

what kind of research are you interested in doing? start looking in journals for articles that interest you, look at who is writing them. look at where they teach. look at who they cite and where they teach. those are YOUR top programs.

PhD is very personal. you are gonna spend 4-6 years working with people , researching and teaching... you need to be working for professors who interest you or else you will be miserable!

Thank you for your reply. Let me rephrase the question: I do know what are the best schools out there for Finance. But I wanted to know if someone can tell me what "bracket" (Transelite, Near Elite, Elite etc.) I should be targeting acc. my profile.

Let's get it right!!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 20:28
ruhi wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Let me rephrase the question: I do know what are the best schools out there for Finance. But I wanted to know if someone can tell me what "bracket" (Transelite, Near Elite, Elite etc.) I should be targeting acc. my profile.

Unfortunately I think the answer mostly hinges on what you currently hope will be a job in asset management, as it is the only thing you could say stands out from other applications.

Finance is the most competitive field at the PhD level, and many applicants have MS Economics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science degrees, and from the level of math that's needed to go through asset pricing textbooks I can tell you that this type of experience is likely more important than CFA exams when it comes down to going through a Finance PhD program successfully. However if you can figure out a way to spin an asset management job as an advantage over these types of people, then you might stand a chance. Otherwise I'd say a top 20 Finance PhD program would be a stretch (although not impossible).
  [#permalink] 08 Sep 2007, 20:28