Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 13:09
Good Job. Keep it up.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 02:08
I finished all the pending work from yesterday and I'm close to finishing the DS problems ;)

I should be able to finish them within 2 hours or so... After that, I'll focus my attention on SC! Particularly the questions I answered incorrectly on Manhattan CATs

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:02
Nice work, man Keep it up! :)

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:25
Entwistle wrote:
I finished all the pending work from yesterday and I'm close to finishing the DS problems ;)

I should be able to finish them within 2 hours or so... After that, I'll focus my attention on SC! Particularly the questions I answered incorrectly on Manhattan CATs

Did you get a chance to do GMATClub tests?

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:28
rg1 wrote:
Did you get a chance to do GMATClub tests?

I decided against it :)
I'm just gonna take two tests:
1. Manhattan CAT #6
2. GMAT Prep Test 2
But I will be doing all the HARD questions, of each section, from the OG :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:35
one question: you're talking about hard questions of OG .. you mean last few of each sections questions? or whats your approach of defining the difficulty of the og questions - the mgmat recommendations?

MGMAT CAT 1 - 710 (Q44 / V42)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 610 (Q44 / V31)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 660 (Q46 / V34)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 680 (Q47 / V35) [incl AWA]
MGMAT CAT 5 - 730 (Q49 / V40) [incl AWA / i knew a few questions .. 1 in Quant & 2 in Verbal]
MGMAT CAT 6 - 730 (Q50 / V40) [no repeats .. lucky me :)]
GMAT CAT 1 retake - 650 (Q45 / V35) [if somebody could tell me what went wrong .. i'd be happy -.-]
GMAT CAT 2 retake - 740( Q49 / V41)
GMAT CAT 1 quant retake (Q49) [only knew 3-4 questions, did 2 of them wrong]

G-DAY: March 4th

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:39
spizzl wrote:
one question: you're talking about hard questions of OG .. you mean last few of each sections questions? or whats your approach of defining the difficulty of the og questions - the mgmat recommendations?

I'm using the excel sheet attached in the "GMAT Club Guide to the GMAT Official Guide 12th Ed" thread as my reference. Here's the link to the thread:

gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html?highlight=ml517

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:48
This is a stupid question but I have to ask. Do you think OG questions represent the difficulty level tested in actual GMAT? I've seen many varied responses to this question. Most GMAT takers report that actual GMAT questions are more difficult and trickier than OG. Your thoughts?

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 08:32
rg1 wrote:
This is a stupid question but I have to ask. Do you think OG questions represent the difficulty level tested in actual GMAT? I've seen many varied responses to this question. Most GMAT takers report that actual GMAT questions are more difficult and trickier than OG. Your thoughts?

I see the OG questions in a different light! The OG questions only expose you to the various question types in GMAT. It does not help develop proficiency unless each question in the OG is systematically torn apart and analyzed!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:52
Entwistle wrote:
rg1 wrote:

I see the OG questions in a different light! The OG questions only expose you to the various question types in GMAT. It does not help develop proficiency unless each question in the OG is systematically torn apart and analyzed!

The OG is the OG, they are questions that have ACTUALLY been used on past GMAT. I don't see how this isn't the most PRISTINE of sources.

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 10:09
Wishbone wrote:
The OG is the OG, they are questions that have ACTUALLY been used on past GMAT. I don't see how this isn't the most PRISTINE of sources.

... and that's all there is to it - it's the most reliable question bank :D

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 11:22
5 More Days to Go.... Oh, boy! :D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 11:46
No probs Entwistle! You can do it! Just one thing... go take a look at the place before your exam (just to get a feel of the the test center) and take a few of the GMATpreps (you know the ones that simulate the actual exam).

The day before the test do some difficult exercises in the morning and then take the afternoon off... have fun with friends...

When you arrive at your home have a healthy dinner, exercise, meditate and sleep early (get some nine hours of sleep... that you rest is absolutely essential to your performance).

The day of your test, know that you know it all. Absolutely avoid coffee!!!! I cannot emphasize that more. If I could it would probably go like.... :yikes DO NOT DRINK COFFEE!!! You know one of those pics where there would be a coffee cup and there would be a red circle and a red line (diameter of the circle) that goes across the coffee cup. Yeah... looks like I was just able to make a better emphasis...lol :)

Lastly, don't lose your cool before or during the test. 8-) You may lose your cool after the test when you've done well :banana which you will!

Just my two cents, advice from what I've experienced but everyone can handle a variety of things differently so.. do what you feel comfortable with.

Mari

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 18:04
Thanks Mari :)
.... and I'll definitely go bonkers after the test; I hope I go bonkers for the right reasons - such as +720 score with an even split :P

I plan to take a couple of Red Bulls and a few bars of Chocolates.
Break 1 - Red Bull + Chocolate
Break 2 - Red Bull + Chocolate
After Test - Celebrations!!!
bwehehehehehehehehe :P Hit the Local Bar on the way home. Drunk while listening to my favourite songs and shout out "Yippie Ka Yay GMAT" at regular intervals! :twisted:
:beer
;)

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 19:15
Useful info:

I was reading through the Manhattan GMAT articles on their website and I discovered a surprising fact:

The overall percentile is much closer to the Verbal percentile compared to the quant percentile.
For example, in my first attempt, my scores were as follows:
T: 650 (79th percentile)
V: 37 (80th percentile)
Q: 44 (65th percentile)

Look how close my total percentile is to the verbal percentile!
This forces me to think that the verbal score influences the overall score to a greater extent than the quant score.

The reason for this, as stated in the Manhattan site is:
With increasing number of non-native English speakers, who are much better at quant than at verbal, taking the test, the combination of good performance in Quant and average-sub average performance in Verbal has become common.
However, the combination of a good verbal score and average-sub average quant score is not very common. Thus, GMAT rewards such a combination with a higher total percentile.

Hence, if you're aiming for a +700 score, please focus on boosting the verbal score after you hit +47 score in quant in the mock CATs!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 20:34
Entwistle wrote:
Useful info:

I was reading through the Manhattan GMAT articles on their website and I discovered a surprising fact:

The overall percentile is much closer to the Verbal percentile compared to the quant percentile.
For example, in my first attempt, my scores were as follows:
T: 650 (79th percentile)
V: 37 (80th percentile)
Q: 44 (65th percentile)

Look how close my total percentile is to the verbal percentile!
This forces me to think that the verbal score influences the overall score to a greater extent than the quant score.

The reason for this, as stated in the Manhattan site is:
With increasing number of non-native English speakers, who are much better at quant than at verbal, taking the test, the combination of good performance in Quant and average-sub average performance in Verbal has become common.
However, the combination of a good verbal score and average-sub average quant score is not very common. Thus, GMAT rewards such a combination with a higher total percentile.

Hence, if you're aiming for a +700 score, please focus on boosting the verbal score after you hit +47 score in quant in the mock CATs!

So what are you planning on doing for the last few days? Focus more on quant or verbal?
Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 21:43
ibbys wrote:
So what are you planning on doing for the last few days? Focus more on quant or verbal?

I used the "Generate Report" feature in Manhattan GMAT and realized that there are a few areas, in both Verbal and Quant, in which my accuracy is below 50%. I will review the corresponding Manhattan GMAT Guide to brush up on these areas!

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 05:12
GMAT Official - T:650 V:37 Q:44

Manhattan CAT#1 - T: 620 V:33 Q:42
Manhattan CAT#2 - T: 650 V:35 Q:44
Manhattan CAT#3 - T: 670 V:34 Q:47
Manhattan CAT#4 - T: 640 V:31 Q:47
Manhattan CAT#5 - T: 670 V:35 Q:46
Manhattan CAT#6 - T: ??? V:?? Q:?? [Target - V:42 Q:49]

GMAT Prep Test 1 Retake - T: 740 V:42 Q:49
GMAT Prep Test 2 - T: ??? V:?? Q:?? [Target - V:42 Q:49]

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 09:16
Alright... So now I have 4 sunsets more to go!

I worked on the weaknesses in the verbal section today. Mostly idioms, modifiers and verb tenses.
Quant is pretty okay...

Gonna take the Manhattan GMAT#6 tomorrow :D
Wooooohoooooooooo!

Right now I'm reading this book called GMAT for Dummies and Reference for the Rest!
he he
:D

Director
Director

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 09:18
Manhattan CAT#6
Target Score:

V: 42
Q: 49

:beer:

Re: Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2011, 09:18