Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about Acronyms

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Question about Acronyms [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 14:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Paul, i have a question about acronyms on the essays, resume etc. Do i need to spell every thing out or am i good with just using the abbreviated terms.
Thank you, Rob
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Question about Acronyms [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry, another question for you Paul. should i just cut and paste from me resume onto the application form in the job description field?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 195

Re: Question about Acronyms [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey RBase,

Thanks for reaching out to me. With respect to your question about acronyms, the safest policy is to spell out the acronym the first time, and then simply use the acronym throughout the rest of the essay. I would use this policy across all essays. That is, every time you reference an acronym for the first time in an essay, spell it out.

Now keep in mind that you have to use common sense. Since I do not know you too well I can't make too many assumptions about that point. But let's assume one thing – that you are of reasonably sound mind. This means that you do not need to spell out acronyms such as IBM or GM. You have to assume that the admissions committee has not been living under a rock for the past few years. Also, if you wanted to be a little more aggressive about your use of acronyms, you would want to consider killing off acronyms employed by the school you are applying to. For example, at Wharton just simply state VIP, and do not spell out Wharton's Venture Initiation Program if you are running short on words.

All of the above being said, you really should not be in a situation where you are so damned tight on words that you have to resort to writing everything in acronyms. I know you think that you are tight on words, but I'm willing to bet $10,000 of Mitt Romney's money that you probably have a few awkward and fugly looking sentences in your essay. You pick the essay and I'll find one - guaranteed.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

RBase wrote:
Hi Paul, i have a question about acronyms on the essays, resume etc. Do i need to spell every thing out or am i good with just using the abbreviated terms.
Thank you, Rob

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Question about Acronyms [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 02:39
Expert's post
Hey RBase,

Thanks for reaching out to me again. I just want to know if you will be adding any more questions to this thread. I'm kidding of course. I certainly appreciate you reaching out to me and as much thought is you put into your questions, I am willing to give back in return. :shock:
By the way, thank you for using complete sentences. It is much appreciated.

Moving on…

So now you have a questions about cutting and pasting. The ole control X, control V - alas I know thee well. There are a few ways this can go. You can definitely phone it in on the online application and just cut and paste. There's nothing wrong with that per se. I mean, unless you want to look like you didn't have time to do a thorough job – there's nothing wrong with that, right? Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, I do that the first week of the month. But I will tell you this, take a look at the number of characters in each box on the online application. Are there enough characters or words for you to give a full answer? If so, then fill in a complete freaking answer. Look at it this way, why spend so much time under essays only to look like a jerk off when it comes time to fill in something that is relatively easy – the online application? Another thing to consider – this is literally the first thing they will look at when viewing your application. Why look like a person too busy or too cool for school hombre? You only get one chance to make a first impression, so floss your teeth. I am assuming you have teeth btw. If not, consider applying next year.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

RBase wrote:
Sorry, another question for you Paul. should i just cut and paste from me resume onto the application form in the job description field?

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton