Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 17:31
so most everyone here is probably either in a top B-school or is wanting to go to a top B-school.

Obviously, full scholarships aren't offered for everyone and probably not everyone has 100% of their tuition saved up under the bed.

So most of you are using, grants, loans etc etc.

Now, what is your opinion on such a huge investment for B-school. Is the investment worth it?

Obviously, there's 2 schools of thought. 1 group will say "It's worth it...education is priceless, and the salary you get in the end will make up for it. The other group will say "You must be crazy to spend 100k for 2 years because you will end up in debt for the rest of your life."

Since this is a Gmat forum, there might be some bias, but I want to survey your opinion.

After spending 60 to 120k for school, while still paying off your loan with your starting salary, are you still very well off? Do you still have left over to buy that big house and fancy car? how long does it take to pay it off? Is it one of those situations where you wont 'feel' rich until the loans are out of the way?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 23:48
most alums I've spoken to say they pay it off in 2-5 years.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 06:32
So you're going to B-school to get rich? Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
semidevil wrote:
Since this is a Gmat forum, there might be some bias, but I want to survey your opinion.

Now there's an understatement. Of course we all think it's worth the money, otherwise why would we be applying?

More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now. But that's not the point, I'm not doing this for the promise of getting rich. I'm doing it for the experience - not just the education but the chance to spend 2 years with a group of incredibly smart, talented and interesting people, and I'm doing it for the chance to switch careers and do something I find more rewarding than what I do now.

So will I have to live more frugally after graduation while I pay off my student loans? Yes. Do I think $150,000 is too high a price to pay for a rewarding career? Not for a second. There's much more to being happy than having a lot of money.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 08:43
I think a lot of people make the mistake of debating this question too long. They end up debating this question well into their late 20's and into 30's. That dramatically closes the window of opportunity to get into top programs.

Is a top bschool MBA or any MBA for that matter, worth the cost of attendance?

Well you got to compare the opportunity cost of continuing your professional career with a MBA or without MBA degree.

If you feel that you are in an industry where a MBA degree won't affect your future income, promotion and etc - then don't bother pursuing a MBA degree.

If you feel that you will regret later on in life if you don't pursue MBA now, then you should just close your eyes, shell out money for GMAT Prep, GMAT, and bschool application related expenses.

Bschools can charge what they charge because there's demand for the program. If there's demand, then there must be a reason behind those demands.

MBA degree is a degree that intends to teach you the science of business management, operation, philosophy, technicality, number-crunching, and better decision making. It's an opportunity for you to upgrade your skills through learning, collaboration, team work, and sharing.

David Brinkley, a late American television journalist, once said, "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."

MBA degree will better prepare you to "lay a firm foundation with the bricks" that life can throw at you.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 09:58
Jerz wrote:
So will I have to live more frugally after graduation while I pay off my student loans? Yes. Do I think $150,000 is too high a price to pay for a rewarding career? Not for a second. There's much more to being happy than having a lot of money.

+1

Nicely put.

RF

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 13:26
[quote="Jerz"]More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now.[quote]

Will you be my new long lost uncle? Can I borrow $50k?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 06:48
Jerz wrote:
More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now. But that's not the point, I'm not doing this for the promise of getting rich. I'm doing it for the experience - not just the education but the chance to spend 2 years with a group of incredibly smart, talented and interesting people, and I'm doing it for the chance to switch careers and do something I find more rewarding than what I do now.

Exactly my situation and exactly my reasoning. +1

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 05:09
sonibubu wrote:
Jerz wrote:
More specifically, I am giving up a job that already pays me more than the avg. starting salary for grads, so there's a good chance that after 2 years and $150,000 in costs, I'll end up in a job that pays *less* than what I make now.

Will you be my new long lost uncle? Can I borrow $50k?
[/quote]

No problem, soni. I'll even give you the Jersey special and knock the vig down to 5 points a week. You can, of course, defer payments while you're in school, but the accrued interest will be capitalized.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 11:31
On a different note, can you, Jerz & rca215, recommend some good readings on business careers in healthcare? Thanks!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 10:11
Paradosso wrote:
On a different note, can you, Jerz & rca215, recommend some good readings on business careers in healthcare? Thanks!

Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't know of any sites/books that specifically discuss working in healthcare. For general (free) info on the healthcare industry - pharma/biotech in particular - I regularly peruse and subscribe to email lists at www.fiercepharma.com, www.fiercebiotech.com and www.biospace.com.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 06:00
rca215 wrote:
Paradosso wrote:

Hmm, that's a tough one. I don't know of any sites/books that specifically discuss working in healthcare. For general (free) info on the healthcare industry - pharma/biotech in particular - I regularly peruse and subscribe to email lists at http://www.fiercepharma.com, http://www.fiercebiotech.com and http://www.biospace.com.

Same here, I haven't read anything specific about working in the healthcare industry, the knowledge I have is from my time working with healthcare clients and talking to people in my firm's healthcare consulting practice. I did read Regina Herzlinger's "Who Killed Health Care?" and thought it a very good book about the challenges in the industry, but it's focused on the US market. You can also try Vault.com - I haven't read their healthcare industry guide, but have read other guides they've published and thought they were very good.

The Kellogg healthcare club also has links to a variety of health-related newsletters and sites:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/stu ... links.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Re: question about B-school tuition and the post-graduation   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2009, 09:14