Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about background check - perhaps interesting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question about background check - perhaps interesting [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 22:55
I'm applying for 2012 Fall intake and recently curious about background check. Here the thing goes:
I graduated from college in 2004 and since then I began working for my first employer on a part time basis at home. However, what I did was just like a full-time hire's job. Almost 2 years later, I was persuaded to work in Shanghai as an in-house employer in that firm until my resignation in 2008. Therefore, literally, I have 2 years full-time experience in that firm only. Right?
Here comes a question: Apparently I have a "gap" from my graduation to formal employment. Is that pathetic? How can I perfectly let AdCom consider these years employment as a whole?
Thank you guys!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Question about background check - perhaps interesting [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 23:48
You may be overthinking it. Your resume and job information on the application should reflect you were employed with this company between 2004 and 2008. If you are admitted and the background check company asks or you provide W-2s that will also support 4 years employment. If your job role changed between part and full time or you have space on your one page resume you may decide to split that job into two resume entries. One for the part time and another for the full time, this is also a good opportunity to show increases in responsibility if applicable.

Becky
Intern
Intern

Re: Question about background check - perhaps interesting [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 00:01
tigerbeck wrote:
You may be overthinking it. Your resume and job information on the application should reflect you were employed with this company between 2004 and 2008. If you are admitted and the background check company asks or you provide W-2s that will also support 4 years employment. If your job role changed between part and full time or you have space on your one page resume you may decide to split that job into two resume entries. One for the part time and another for the full time, this is also a good opportunity to show increases in responsibility if applicable.

Becky

Hi Becky,

Thank you for such a quick reply! I AM considering this issue seriously because I'm just taking the first step forward~ Cannot endure any trivial that may ruin my future... ^_^
I know an increase in responsibility means career progress.
The situation might be a little more complext: My first employer is almost dissolved due to improper operation. Can you suggest what I can do if the taxation payment history is not available? Meanwhile, founder of my first employer who recruited me there was "fired" from that company and recently founded another firm. Can I rely on that guy for future possible background check?

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Question about background check - perhaps interesting [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 00:18
I really can't say how thoroughly the school you ultimately attend will investigate your past since each is different. Never will a background check come back and the school rescind admission without speaking to you first to clarify the situation. In my research I found these firms to be inaccurate regularly and very basic in their investigations. I personally would separate these jobs out to make any necessary explaining easier.

They do not call your current boss or any boss. They will call your HR and ask if you worked there between X and Y dates and quite possibly only your most recent employer. In my state/country (California/U.S) all HR can do is say yes or no I worked there on those dates. My company gets so many calls in fact they use an automated system that only says the most recent job information so my 6 years with the same company was only two years on the automated system and the adcom didn't even blink an eye. I even called to explain and they said they are used to these situations and not to worry.

Becky
Intern
Intern

Re: Question about background check - perhaps interesting [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 00:26
tigerbeck wrote:
I really can't say how thoroughly the school you ultimately attend will investigate your past since each is different. Never will a background check come back and the school rescind admission without speaking to you first to clarify the situation. In my research I found these firms to be inaccurate regularly and very basic in their investigations. I personally would separate these jobs out to make any necessary explaining easier.

They do not call your current boss or any boss. They will call your HR and ask if you worked there between X and Y dates and quite possibly only your most recent employer. In my state/country (California/U.S) all HR can do is say yes or no I worked there on those dates. My company gets so many calls in fact they use an automated system that only says the most recent job information so my 6 years with the same company was only two years on the automated system and the adcom didn't even blink an eye. I even called to explain and they said they are used to these situations and not to worry.

Becky

Dear Bekcy,

What you just said gave me much confidence! It's quite inspiring! Many thanks!
Re: Question about background check - perhaps interesting   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2011, 00:26