Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you Paul for your insight. I'm currently using your book "Great Application Essays for Business Schools" and it's a great help.

I have one more question. I have heard from some other people that Stanford is sometimes into unique or spectacular candidates who show lots of ambition. That got me thinking if I should be shooting straight for corp dev/strategy then to VC or if the approach I took will be seen as a more well thought out and realistic "dream". I'd prefer not to aim for the moon but I'm not sure what Stanford prefers.

I'm also applying to UCLA and Berkeley. Which of these schools have the best connection for a VC future? I know that UCLA has a fellows program that seems to land a handful of people in that field. I haven't seen that kind of presence from Berkeley, although I know Berkeley is a great school, academically and professionally.

Thank you so much again for your feedback.

John
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatnoob wrote:
Thank you Paul for your insight. I'm currently using your book "Great Application Essays for Business Schools" and it's a great help.

I have one more question. I have heard from some other people that Stanford is sometimes into unique or spectacular candidates who show lots of ambition. That got me thinking if I should be shooting straight for corp dev/strategy then to VC or if the approach I took will be seen as a more well thought out and realistic "dream". I'd prefer not to aim for the moon but I'm not sure what Stanford prefers.

I'm also applying to UCLA and Berkeley. Which of these schools have the best connection for a VC future? I know that UCLA has a fellows program that seems to land a handful of people in that field. I haven't seen that kind of presence from Berkeley, although I know Berkeley is a great school, academically and professionally.

Thank you so much again for your feedback.

John

John,

When it comes to goals, you want to avoid the "unique" and "spectacular" in favor of the plausible, well-investigated, and feasible. However, I honestly don't know whether there is any downside to stating that you want to go directly into VC after the MBA rather than get some other experience first. I suspect that MBAs from schools like Stanford, Haas, and UCLA face no huge hurdles in entering the VC world directly after the MBA and so those schools would view that as a plausible path.

I also have to believe that Stanford and Haas would be better bets for breaking into venture capital than UCLA, as fine as their program no doubt is. Haas is renowned for its finance and technology management resources and is of course situated near Silicon Valley.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]