Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about college EC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Question about college EC [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 22:13
I was an engineering major in college and had literally no EC, other than working for 3 years in a college lab, which resulted in the research being published in a high impact peer-reviewed journal. I did do things like IM basketball, karate clubs for fun for a few semesters. From my perspective, I worked in the lab partly because I needed the money, and partly because it was very interesting work that we did, and I absolutely had no time to be involved in any of these cool clubs after studying and the 15 hours a week spent at the lab. On top of this, I had a 2.7ish gpa for the first 2 years, and I needed to be focused academically, and I was able to make dean's list for the final 3 semesters, to end up with a 3.1 gpa. My question is, will MBA programs look at this lack of leadership roles/ECs as a major negative? (given the consideration that I was in a top 10 engineering program)

Thanks so much for the help! I'm just beginning to think about getting an MBA.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about college EC [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 09:16
It's not looked upon negatively, but if you are applying with less than 3 years work experience, you have less potential essay material to draw from and run the risk of coming across as one-dimensional. Keep in mind that adcoms want well rounded people -- and the challenge for people in technical professions is being able to show that they are more than just human calculators -- that they are actively engaged in non-technical group activities outside of work. If you don't have much to show for that now, then you really should keep yourself busy outside of work once you graduate. It doesn't matter what it is -- political organizations, nonprofit, arts organizations, cultural organizations, etc. -- just really commit and dedicate yourself in terms of time and effort in some group activity that moves you. This isn't just for b-school applications, but for life. Don't sleepwalk your way through your working life. Find every which way to stay actively involved with other people in some organized activity (where you have responsibility - not just a casual thing) because the reward is your very act of commitment to the activity.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Question about college EC   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2009, 09:16