Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

question about gpa cut off...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

question about gpa cut off... [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:58
Hey all,

Almost all b-schools state that there are no GMAT or GPA cutoffs, but from the class profiles, the stats of most top 20 schools are quite high.

Although no cutoffs are listed, is it possible for someone with a 2.5 gpa to get into those schools even with stellar GMAT and work experience? or say 600 GMAT and 3.8 gpa and great work exp?

From what I've seen its nearly impossible still. For example, UCLA's profile shows that the lowest GPA that entered the class of 08 was 2.9.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 13:48
Sure it's possible, but it's much more difficult. Admissions411 is a great resource to view profiles of admitted applicants at various schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 14:11
My GPA is 73/100, which is something like bottom 10% of the class. I was admitted to Wharton and LBS. A you see, there is no GPA cutoff for sure, but I should also add that my GMAT no doubt mitigate my GPA.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 14:59
Good point deowl. I am hoping for the same.

I will note that the UC system is somewhat strange when it comes to GPAs and their admissions are sometimes difficult to figure out. For example, when I applied to law school, I was admitted to Berkeley, Michigan, Columbia & Penn (all higher ranked schools), but rejected from UCLA where I was doing my undergrad. The next year, a good friend was admitted to NYU, Columbia & Chicago but rejected from Berkeley.

I have always thought that, as part of the UC system, Berkeley and UCLA have some kind of numbers formula that they must adhere to. On the other hand, business schools like Columbia, Duke & Wharton appear to have more flexibility with regards to GPA.
  [#permalink] 09 Jan 2007, 14:59