Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

question about hit rate.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

question about hit rate. [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 14:23
so i've read from several posts about the goal of increasing your hit rate. i was wondering why that should be the main goal/focus of our studies. on my gmatprep 1 test i missed 17 out of the 37 Q problems and received a 45 score which is decent i think. my hit rate wasn't particularly great, but the score turned out okay. is a high hit rate related to answering more questions consecutively so you can reach the harder questions? or is there some other reason why this should be one of the most important goals?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

On Quant [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 02:17
If you are getting 45 in Quant or Verbal?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: question about hit rate. [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 18:49
mayonnai5e wrote:
so i've read from several posts about the goal of increasing your hit rate. i was wondering why that should be the main goal/focus of our studies. on my gmatprep 1 test i missed 17 out of the 37 Q problems and received a 45 score which is decent i think. my hit rate wasn't particularly great, but the score turned out okay. is a high hit rate related to answering more questions consecutively so you can reach the harder questions? or is there some other reason why this should be one of the most important goals?

a 45 is a good Q score. depending on your ultimate goal and your V score, your hit rate might be just fine.

when we talk about hit rate, we mean % right vs % wrong... and I think most people talk about it in reference to non CAT practice problems (like the OG etc..) Your hit rate on a CAT is somewhat less important, and it isn't an easily comparable statistic to other people.

Because it is adaptive, you were answering harder questions than someone who would score in the 30's, and earning more points per question. Your 45 and someone elses 35 can share the same hit rate.

No one knows 100% how the GMAT algorithm works, but it takes into accoount how many questions you got right, how many you got wrong, how many you didnt answer, the difficulty level of each question, and even the distribution of your wrong answers

For example:
if you got 10 Verbal questions wrong, and they were all SC - and I answered the same difficulty level, got the same amount right in the same exact order, but my 10 errors were spread across RC, CR, and SC, I am 'more well rounded' and 'smarter' so I get a higher score. Likewise if you get 10 Quant questions wrong, and they all had to deal with circles in some fashion, its worse than getting 10 Quant questions wrong in 5 or 6 different categories.

it's enough to make your head spin, so I suggest you don't worry about it. keeping track of your hit rate is important for practice problems, but if you are using the OG, the questions get harder as you go along... so expect that your hit rate could drop as you progress.
keep tracking your progress in CATs and practice problems and good luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2007, 04:28
anon, you've answered my question for me:

"when we talk about hit rate, we mean % right vs % wrong... and I think most people talk about it in reference to non CAT practice problems (like the OG etc..) "

thanks a bunch.
  [#permalink] 18 Jul 2007, 04:28