Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 23
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 16:00
This is my first post on the forum (I've been a reader for a few weeks now). Sorry if it is a rehash of previous posts but I had to get it out of my system.

I have Kaplan's Live Online 2010 Edition which comes with a book and online access to quizzes and 4 CATs. I've seen many people mentioning that Kaplan tests are too tough and that its not worth paying attention to the scores. Well, I seem to be having the opposite experience with them so far. I never went below 51 in quant and getting around 44 in verbal, total around 740... whereas in MGMAT I've been loitering around 670 (timed) and 730(quant untimed as per slingfox's suggestion). I'm confused as to where I stand in my preperation for GMAT. I have not taken the PowerPrep tests yet and plan to appear for the GMAT test in 3 weeks.

Any insight into my situation?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12065
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 16:42
Expert's post
Sorry, there is a bit of a confusion. I would appreciate Kaplan folks weighing in, but the best explanation I have is that Kaplan modified their tests and when they came out with a new version, scoring became different, so the tests are not longer overly harsh. Hopefully this clarifies things a bit. MGMAT are pretty close but GMAT Prep is the closest. See this as well:

http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 242
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 18:52
bb wrote:
Sorry, there is a bit of a confusion. I would appreciate Kaplan folks weighing in, but the best explanation I have is that Kaplan modified their tests and when they came out with a new version, scoring became different, so the tests are not longer overly harsh. Hopefully this clarifies things a bit. MGMAT are pretty close but GMAT Prep is the closest. See this as well:

http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/


Agreed. From my experience (and from what I've read), the Kaplan exams are a bit on the easy side now. Try plugging in your MGMAT scores into the GMAT Score Calculator that bb posted above -- I'd ignore the Kaplan scores if I were you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 05:10
Hi,

Can anyone tell how reliable the CATs in the 'Kaplan- Higher score on GMAT' CD are?
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 10:49
Expert's post
Hi Occamsrazor!

Kaplan tests have always been pretty accurate. Of course, many people report scores wildly different from their test-day results, but that's true for all practice tests--so many factors, from stress to noise to time of day, can impact your score that consistent results during practice are impossible.

However, our tests did seem to be scoring a few tens of points low, a situation that we swiftly corrected in our coding. Unfortunately, as of now that new scoring algorithm applies only to our classroom courses; we are working on incorporating this new technology into our published works as well, but haven't completed the transition yet.

In the end, though, no test-prep company, even Kaplan, will be as accurate a measure of your performance as the powerprep exams. I would consider the Kaplan CAT score a fair analysis, but any doubt can be cleared up with an official GMAC practice test.

Best of luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 235
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 11:04
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Occamsrazor!
However, our tests did seem to be scoring a few tens of points low, a situation that we swiftly corrected in our coding. Unfortunately, as of now that new scoring algorithm applies only to our classroom courses; we are working on incorporating this new technology into our published works as well, but haven't completed the transition yet.


hi eli,

can you please clarify the quoted statement above? i was under the impression that your published works do in fact include the corrected (easier) scoring.

thanks!
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 11:16
Expert's post
username123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Occamsrazor!
However, our tests did seem to be scoring a few tens of points low, a situation that we swiftly corrected in our coding. Unfortunately, as of now that new scoring algorithm applies only to our classroom courses; we are working on incorporating this new technology into our published works as well, but haven't completed the transition yet.


hi eli,

can you please clarify the quoted statement above? i was under the impression that your published works do in fact include the corrected (easier) scoring.

thanks!
I suspect you're thinking of the major update we did in 2008. The latest refinements, however, were made within the last two months.

Thanks for asking!

Eli
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 235
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 11:25
KapTeacherEli wrote:
username123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Occamsrazor!
However, our tests did seem to be scoring a few tens of points low, a situation that we swiftly corrected in our coding. Unfortunately, as of now that new scoring algorithm applies only to our classroom courses; we are working on incorporating this new technology into our published works as well, but haven't completed the transition yet.


hi eli,

can you please clarify the quoted statement above? i was under the impression that your published works do in fact include the corrected (easier) scoring.

thanks!
I suspect you're thinking of the major update we did in 2008. The latest refinements, however, were made within the last two months.

Thanks for asking!

Eli


I see. The major update in 2008 definitely made the scoring easier.

Have the refinements in the last 2 months made the classroom scoring slightly more "easier" or "harder" from the 2008 basepoint? (i.e. Are the classroom courses now slightly easier than the post-2008 "easier" tests, or slightly harder than the post-2008 "easier" tests?)
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 11:52
Expert's post
username123 wrote:

I see. The major update in 2008 definitely made the scoring easier.

Have the refinements in the last 2 months made the classroom scoring slightly more "easier" or "harder" from the 2008 basepoint? (i.e. Are the classroom courses now slightly easier than the post-2008 "easier" tests, or slightly harder than the post-2008 "easier" tests?)

The official GMAT scores the quant section range from 0-60, but actual scores never go higher than 51 (the GMAT reserves room for future test expansion). A few Kaplan students reported a base quant score of 53, because our test was based off the 0-60; as soon as the error was called to our attention, we went right to work on correcting it. We've fixed that anomaly with the most recent version of our CATs. However, I don't off the top of my head know how, if at all, that's affected Kaplan 200-800 scores. I do know that we consider the change minor, and shouldn't impact student scores more than 10-20 points in either direction (in other words, the changes we made will have less impact on your score than a good night's sleep).
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2010, 11:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Exchange MGMAT tests for Kaplan? Pearson1 0 23 Mar 2014, 05:41
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kaplan Vs MGMAT test fozzzy 9 03 Oct 2013, 02:16
Experts publish their posts in the topic KINDLY COMPARE MGMAT TEST WITH KAPLAN TEST Entwistle 5 20 Mar 2011, 07:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Test Evaluation (MGMAT & Kaplan) jusjmkol740 1 26 Jan 2010, 22:43
Question about MGMAT CATs ant700gmat 2 03 Dec 2009, 06:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Question about Kaplan and MGMAT tests

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.