Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about LSAT materials

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Question about LSAT materials [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2004, 15:18
Hi. Yesterday I bought "The Official LSAT SuperPrep" book based on someone's recommendation here. I just did 18 questions in 45 min. That's an average of 2:32 minutes per question. A little slow, I know. I spent a chunk of time comparing the two choices that I had narrowed down to before selecting my answer. The kicker is: I found most of the questions to be surprisingly easy. Often I could intuit the type of answer that a question required. The questions seemed similar in difficulty level to that of the easy and medium OG CR questions. It turns out that I got 1 wrong out of 18 questions! (That's 95% correct! The highest I've ever gotten in my practice sessions) Of course, I have to work on becoming more confident with choosing answers so that I won't have to spend time reviewing them.

My question to all of you who've used LSAT materials is:
Is the level of difficulty of the questions in SuperPrep the same as that of the book, The 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests , and its sequel ("10 More...")?

I'm going to get my hands on "10 More..." later this week (I heard that it contains more recent tests). Should I get "10 Actual" as well?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

SuperPrep [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2004, 20:07
Hi,

I can't answer your question about SuperPrep in particular, because I didn't use it. I took the LSAT on 12/4 of this year. Instead, my response focuses on your per question time. I wouldn't get too excited about answering 95% of questions correctly if you averaged 2.5 min/question. That's not nearly fast enough. You've got to get that down to 1:45 each, be glad that you're starting with a good base of being able to intuit the answers, but don't lighten up on yourself until you're answering all questions within the prescribed time limit. I was scoring perfect 180s every time I took untimed tests, but when I added the time factor the highest practice test I ever did was 171. Best of luck.

Hilary
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 781

Re: Question about LSAT materials [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2004, 20:46
Hello Questor

It was my recommendation.

The Superprep contains ACTUAL tests administered in the past and the other LSAT preptests are similar tests. I assume that you took Section 1 in Preptest A. There are two sections of Logical Reasoning (thats Critical Reasoning) in Test A, B and C. Generally, the first section is the easier one of the two. Also, the tougher questions are generally towards the end of the section. :) I would request you to try the second section of logical reasoning. hopefully that would challenge you and will help you a lot.

The whole idea is to practise with standard questions. Except the Official Guide and the nine paper tests, there is too little material out there. Plus the paper test dont have the explanations. Most of the times, the frustrating part with kaplan or princeton is the poor quality of their verbal questions.

Hope this helps
Praetorian

Questor wrote:
Hi. Yesterday I bought "The Official LSAT SuperPrep" book based on someone's recommendation here. I just did 18 questions in 45 min. That's an average of 2:32 minutes per question. A little slow, I know. I spent a chunk of time comparing the two choices that I had narrowed down to before selecting my answer. The kicker is: I found most of the questions to be surprisingly easy. Often I could intuit the type of answer that a question required. The questions seemed similar in difficulty level to that of the easy and medium OG CR questions. It turns out that I got 1 wrong out of 18 questions! (That's 95% correct! The highest I've ever gotten in my practice sessions) Of course, I have to work on becoming more confident with choosing answers so that I won't have to spend time reviewing them.

My question to all of you who've used LSAT materials is:
Is the level of difficulty of the questions in SuperPrep the same as that of the book, The 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests , and its sequel ("10 More...")?

I'm going to get my hands on "10 More..." later this week (I heard that it contains more recent tests). Should I get "10 Actual" as well?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Manager
Manager

Re: Question about LSAT materials [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2004, 00:02
Hilary,

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I know about the timing thing. I think that I was a little too careful about double checking my answers. Since I've done all of the OG CR questions already, I should start feeling less hesitant and attack the practice questions more fiercely.

Praetorian,

Your suggestion was great. I'm glad that I bought the book. Working through the questions was similar to meeting an old friend. Perhaps my brain is gradually getting more in tune with the ETS-style questions. Anyway, I look forward to "befriending" that tougher CR section tomorrow.

Cheers,

Questor
Manager
Manager

Results of My "Timing" Experiment [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2004, 22:22
I just did a RC section and a LR (CR) section from my LSAT book. My purpose was to work on my timing.

1) RC: For the 27 questions, I gave myself 49 min. max. and really pushed myself to plow through those long passages. I finished in 44 min. and 36 sec., which is, I think, about 1.6 sec per question. I got 85% of the questions right. While working with OG, my percentage ranged anywhere from 79% to 95% correct, with the average in the mid-80's.

2) CR: For the 25 questions, I gave myself 45 min. During the test, if I found myself stuck with two answer choices, I would force myself to choose one answer and go on to the next question. I was sure that I was getting every other question wrong. At the end, I only got to 24 questions. I usually got anywhere between 58 and 79% of CR questions right. So I was happy to find that, on this test, I got 72% of the questions right.

I'm still not satisfied with my timing. On the other hand, I learned that increasing one's speed does not necessarily result in a drastic reduction of the number of questions one gets right.
Results of My "Timing" Experiment   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2004, 22:22