Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Dec 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about MGMAT CATs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Question about MGMAT CATs [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 06:16
Question:

I am starting my preparation for the GMAT with the MGMAT math series. I would like to focus on the quantitative sections of the CATs (Just taking the Quant sections) and then go back and do the verbal sections later on. I don’t want to waste the verbal sections of the CATs without any preparation.

1- Do the MGMAT CATs (Kaplan CATs also) allow one to complete the sections separately? How does it work?
2- Do you think this is a good strategy?

Love this forum! Thanks for the help everyone.. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Question about MGMAT CATs [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 06:53
ant700gmat wrote:
Question:

I am starting my preparation for the GMAT with the MGMAT math series. I would like to focus on the quantitative sections of the CATs (Just taking the Quant sections) and then go back and do the verbal sections later on. I don’t want to waste the verbal sections of the CATs without any preparation.

1- Do the MGMAT CATs (Kaplan CATs also) allow one to complete the sections separately? How does it work?
2- Do you think this is a good strategy?

Love this forum! Thanks for the help everyone.. :)

1- No. When you take the CAT, you can't get a selective section score. Most prep company tests let you pause, but to get the assessment and score, you must complete the test.

2- No. You have plenty of resources for questions (GMATClub, OG, Offical Verbal/Math, etc.) Use your practice test for full assessments, and use problem for individual sections.

We recommend taking a diagnostic test to come up with your study plan. Simply studying w/o taking a diagnostic can be useful, but knowing your short comings and using targeted studying typically nets better results.

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about MGMAT CATs [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 08:52
Hi,

In our practice tests, it is possible to exit out of the test and resume it at a later date, (when you exit one of our practice test you are given three options, the second of which says "exit the test and resume at a later time,") however we very strongly recommend that you take the test in its entirety. As Mohater wrote, the practice tests are a good way to practice the actual experience of taking the GMAT. They prepare you for having to sit for four hours with two 8-minute breaks and answer questions.

In order to prepare yourself for the exam, however, it is also important to learn the content behind the exam, and to do practice drills and problems. It sounds like you're already doing this on the quant side. To practice just the quant in a more exam-like setting, I would suggest using a stopwatch and timing yourself answering a specific number of Official Guide problems. For example, pick out 20 problems and give yourself 40 minutes to do them all. This is good practice for the problems themselves as well as for timing.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manahttan GMAT
1-800-576-4628

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Question about MGMAT CATs   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2009, 08:52