Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
jbsears wrote:
My GPA was low cause I got Cs in astronomy, psychology, a few political science courses and all the other boring classes.

Hey! One of the courses I teach is in the poly sci dept! I resent that! I love Poly Sci; perhaps you just need to take a thrill-packed and highly entertaining gov't course from me!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
mrw142 wrote:
jbsears wrote:
My GPA was low cause I got Cs in astronomy, psychology, a few political science courses and all the other boring classes.

Hey! One of the courses I teach is in the poly sci dept! I resent that! I love Poly Sci; perhaps you just need to take a thrill-packed and highly entertaining gov't course from me!

I was going to minor in poly sci originally cause I love the topic but the instructors in the first two classes I took were horrendous. I had this instructor who wrote on the board for the whole 75 minutes while talking to the board in a monotone voice the whole time. After this class I decided not to pursue a minor. It sucked b/c my school had a poly sci/econ dual minor which was fairly easy to get, but I couldn't do another poly sci class.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
jbsears wrote:
mrw142 wrote:
jbsears wrote:

I was going to minor in poly sci originally cause I love the topic but the instructors in the first two classes I took were horrendous. I had this instructor who wrote on the board for the whole 75 minutes while talking to the board in a monotone voice the whole time. After this class I decided not to pursue a minor. It sucked b/c my school had a poly sci/econ dual minor which was fairly easy to get, but I couldn't do another poly sci class.

Too bad the instructors did you that way; it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of someone developing a lifelong aversion to a subject because of poor instruction. The subject matter can be taught through stories and anectdotes and analogies and can be very interesting. But you have to be willing to throw your heart into it, not just mail it in. You didn't happen to attend a big research U where your instructors were either profs who thought they had better things to do than teach undergraduates or graduate students who thought they had better things to do--live groveling and scraping to their graduate profs?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Indiana University Bloomington - Don't think the professor cared at all about making the subject interesting. The course was something about globalization. Basically he stared and wrote on the bored the time lines of the silk road and the movement from Europe to Asia. It was presented more like a history course which I can't stand studying history by remembering dates and names. It had nothing to do with politics and many of the course offerings at IU in poly sci had nothing to do with politics as we know it today.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts