Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about Recommendation Notifications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Question about Recommendation Notifications [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 20:09
Hello forumers,

I have a quick question regarding recommendations. I called two of my previous supervisors last week, and fortunately got their verbal approval on providing recommendations. It's good, but I understand that schedules need to be properly managed so that recommenders have plenty of time to proceed with writing the letters.

I plan to apply during round 2 (mid Jan deadline) - to explain why waiting till round 2, actually I originally planned to apply during next fall (for 2012) but after a fairy satisfactory GMAT score and time speaking with MBA admissions personnel, I have decided very recently to give it a try this year (for 2011). Worst come to worst I get deferred from target schools and re-apply next year. The experience helps.

I have just begun registering online for applications and brainstorming essay ideas, and taking into account full time job and other committments, I project that I won't be done with producing quality application until somewhere late November/early December. I won't likely be submitting the complete applicaitions until sometime in December. So, will this timeline affect my recommenders? Ideally, I would like to give recommenders 1-2 months' timeframe to write their recommendations (planning to submit an background info outline to each recommender by early November).

Question:
Will recommenders be able to access schools' recommendation questions and/or forms prior to my submitting my info/essays/complete app online?

Or would the recommenders immediately receive email notification once I register their names on school application site? (assuming that recommender registration/notificaion would then be independent of offically submitting application information)

And how will recommenders submit their recommendations? I assume they go directly online to school's admissions website (links provided to them by email) to submit them, right?

I understand that all application materials - including recommendations - must be sent by the round 2 deadlines to merit consideration by the schools' admissions. Recommenders are usually notified by email with regards to schools' recommendation forms. When does the email notification happen? I would like to have recommenders start writing recommendations before I fully submit the entire application (don't want to fee rushed with the essay writing).

I thank you in advance for your replies. I understand that this may be a very simple question for those of you who are very versed in the application process. Apologize for sounding naive - I just recently made the decision to apply this year rather than waiting another year (my original plan). There is still a lot to learn from the applicatoin process - but hey, one learns best by doing it :)

Thanks again
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Question about Recommendation Notifications [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 20:31
So when you start the application, the schools ask for your recommenders emails, once you fill it and hit send they are sent info on how to fill out the recommendation.

You dont have to submit anything beforehand. Your assumptions are all correct:
Question:
Will recommenders be able to access schools' recommendation questions and/or forms prior to my submitting my info/essays/complete app online? YES

Or would the recommenders immediately receive email notification once I register their names on school application site? (assuming that recommender registration/notificaion would then be independent of offically submitting application information) YES

And how will recommenders submit their recommendations? I assume they go directly online to school's admissions website (links provided to them by email) to submit them, right? YES

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Question about Recommendation Notifications [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 20:38
Thank you for the reply! Appreciate it :)
Re: Question about Recommendation Notifications   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2010, 20:38