Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about resume length:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 12:51
I know it is generally desirable (for employment) to keep resumes to 1 page, does the same apply for MBA applications? How vital is it not to exceed the 1-page limit?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
I believe it should be kept to one page and they're pretty adamant about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I remember seeing a post by an admissions officer from a top 25 school that listed sending a resume that's over one page as being one of their top 10 pet peeves during admissions season. They know a lot of people have accomplished enough to fill 2 or even 3 pages, but they don't have enough time to read through it all and would rather see it limited to one page. Also, you can write about other accomplishments not listed on your resume in your essays. I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 09:32
CalStep20 wrote:
I believe it should be kept to one page and they're pretty adamant about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I remember seeing a post by an admissions officer from a top 25 school that listed sending a resume that's over one page as being one of their top 10 pet peeves during admissions season. They know a lot of people have accomplished enough to fill 2 or even 3 pages, but they don't have enough time to read through it all and would rather see it limited to one page. Also, you can write about other accomplishments not listed on your resume in your essays. I hope this helps.

It certainly does help, thank you.

Does anyone else have 2nd/3rd opinions?
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 11:15
I believe one page is the standard any where. Although you might consider use two, if you have significant achievement in life that really cannot cram into one page.
Manager
Manager

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 12:48
Follow up question: Does font size & style matter?

Obviously I wouldn't want to use tiny fonts to fit in an excessive amount of info, but it wouldn't hurt to maximize my limited space. So far I'm using size 10 Arial (on MS Word), I hope that's not too small.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 13:16
GMATaddict wrote:

Obviously I wouldn't want to use tiny fonts to fit in an excessive amount of info, but it wouldn't hurt to maximize my limited space. So far I'm using size 10 Arial (on MS Word), I hope that's not too small.

10 point font is definitely too small.

The one page limit is a very basic, hard and fast rule. Don't try to game it. 11-12pt font, normal margins. Start from there and edit, edit, edit.
Manager
Manager

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 14:03
Skitalets wrote:
GMATaddict wrote:

10 point font is definitely too small.

The one page limit is a very basic, hard and fast rule. Don't try to game it. 11-12pt font, normal margins. Start from there and edit, edit, edit.

Actually I was editing yesterday, size 11 Arial worked out well, I cut the resume down to 1 page without significant losses. I revised to size 10 just for a little extra space, but I could easily go back to 11 point font I suppose.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 14:25
One trick would be to change the font size on any blank/spacer lines. You can change that font down to 4 or 5 and it still leaves enough space so you notice a break. But of course, each resume is unique and it must "flow" ie. Draw the readers eyes to the next bullet point. You don't want to have a long line/short line/long line format the whole way down. I would focus more on content though, rather than working about what font size the adcom is looking for.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 19:14
A business resume is a one-page business card.

The 10-second ESPN highlights.

Not a complete dissertation of everything that you've done. It actually hurts you more if you have say 2 or 3 years experience, and your resume overflows to 2 or 3 pages chock full of text. It makes you look insecure - that you're trying way too hard to show that you've done so much in what little time you have.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 13:25
A one page resume is what adcoms look for in general. If it helps write your resume as a "LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS" instead of penning down all your work experience and extra curriculars
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 18:52
I would hate to think I left out key achievements to fit into an assumed, unwritten rule. A common theme I see in these forums is "just be yourself" and a resume that is more than one page may be needed to accomplish that.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 21:58
I have read resume advice that the default Word margins are too wide and it makes sense to decrease margins slightly. My question has to do with contact info/header in an application resume. While a standard job resume should include name/address/phone/email, is all of that necessary on an application resume? Presumably you need all 4 on a job resume since the resume may be all they have in your file, but in the context of an application, they already have your contact info. I have looked in MBA Game Plan, and some of the sample resumes have just name, while others have one line for each of the 4 items. I currently have 4 lines in my header, but it makes it quite a challenge to fit the rest in one page - the font is smaller than I would like.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Question about resume length:   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2009, 21:58