Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question About Study Time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question About Study Time [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 13:38
So I took the GMAT for the first time today and did horrible. I was hoping for north of 600 and got 530. I'm pretty devastated, as I felt my preparation was fairly good. So I plan to rewrite, however I return to my job in two weeks where I work 70+ hour weeks and only have one day a week off (this day is generally devoted to running errands, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.). So my question is, what would be an good study approach for me with my time constraints? I did fine on the verbal and am not too concerned with my score there but it is definitely quant where I need to focus. Any good books that anyone could recommend? I am hoping to rewrite in late Jan/early Feb - is this too soon given my time constraints? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm feeling pretty lousy today :cry:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Question About Study Time [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 13:49
Expert's post
KL90 wrote:
So I took the GMAT for the first time today and did horrible. I was hoping for north of 600 and got 530. I'm pretty devastated, as I felt my preparation was fairly good. So I plan to rewrite, however I return to my job in two weeks where I work 70+ hour weeks and only have one day a week off (this day is generally devoted to running errands, grocery shopping, laundry, etc.). So my question is, what would be an good study approach for me with my time constraints? I did fine on the verbal and am not too concerned with my score there but it is definitely quant where I need to focus. Any good books that anyone could recommend? I am hoping to rewrite in late Jan/early Feb - is this too soon given my time constraints? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm feeling pretty lousy today :cry:

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Sounds like a tough proposition with that work schedule.
My recommendation would be to study BEFORE work. Wake up at an early time and study then. That may sound painful but it depends on your commitment level. I can tell you it will be a better result than doing it after or during work. I would recommend 1-2 hours in the morning of study time that should begin with review of yesterday's material and review of questions you did not get right to make sure you can solve them today.

The books I would recommend would probably be:
#1 Foundations of GMAT Math by MGMAT
#2 Kaplan Math Workbook

I doubt that you have enough time to do anything more detailed such as the MGMAT guides or Veritas Prep Guides.

P.S. Did you know that 530 is 50th percentnile on the GMAT? About average...
P.P.S. Also see this thread: how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q30-to-q40-142810.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question About Study Time [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 13:56
Thanks for the advice bb.

Not sure how I will be able to study in the mornings as I start work at 6am, I guess I will have to study after work!

I already have the Kaplan Math Workbook and the Official GMAT Guide. I went through Kaplan pretty easy so today's score was very disheartening.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Question About Study Time [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 14:01
Expert's post
What about practice scores? Were they on par with 600+ scores and this was a surprise?
What were your practice scores from GMAT Prep/etc?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Question About Study Time   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 14:01