Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about the OG Quant Book

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:39
Hi all.

It is my understanding that the green OG Quant Book works in ascending order when it comes to the difficulty of the questions.

I seem to have hit a wall around question 130 of the 176 problems in the Problem Solving section.

My question is...

Approximately what level am I scoring at if I have been able to master most of the concepts leading up to question 130?

Thanks for any help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8783 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:48
Expert's post
600orBust wrote:
Hi all.

It is my understanding that the green OG Quant Book works in ascending order when it comes to the difficulty of the questions.

I seem to have hit a wall around question 130 of the 176 problems in the Problem Solving section.

My question is...

Approximately what level am I scoring at if I have been able to master most of the concepts leading up to question 130?

Thanks for any help!

the best indicator of your score is a cat test. I would recommend to take only the math section if you only want to know the math score.

it's hard to say based on misinformation. For two reasons:
1. Even though the questions are in ascending difficulty order, the order is not very precise.
2. Your level will vary with the amount of time you spend in each question ( do you time yourself or not?)

Finally, keep in mind that the OG quant book is actually on the easier side. But to give you a simple answer, you probably at around 600

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:21
Thanks for the response, bb!

Yes, I use a stopwatch on each question I work.

My general rule for whether or not I have mastered a concept/problem is if I can answer the question in less than 2 minutes. If it takes me more than 2-2:30 to answer a problem, I know I still have more work to do to consider that particular concept "mastered".

My target score is 600+ and I still have more than a month until my next GMAT so your response is encouraging!
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:43
600orBust wrote:
Thanks for the response, bb!

Yes, I use a stopwatch on each question I work.

My general rule for whether or not I have mastered a concept/problem is if I can answer the question in less than 2 minutes. If it takes me more than 2-2:30 to answer a problem, I know I still have more work to do to consider that particular concept "mastered".

My target score is 600+ and I still have more than a month until my next GMAT so your response is encouraging!

If its your initial stage of preparation then accuracy is more important than timing. You should time the questions and not down those that took more than 2 minutes to solve.

But do not guess or give up after 2 minutes. Even if you do that, do not look at the answer,come back again and try to solve if if it takes an hour to do. The same question is never going to come, but the concept learnt may test you anytime.

There will be some times in the test when you will do 5 questions for 2.5 minutes and next 5 in 1 minute. Thus averaging less than 2 minutes. The most important aspect of the test is to manage this.

Most Imp : Be confident and positive about your preparation.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:12
Thanks for the response, gurpree.

This won't be my first time taking the GMAT. I am trying to improve to a 600+ after scoring in the low 500's the first time.

I'm well aware that some problems do require more than 2 minutes.

What I'm saying though is that most questions, especially around 600 level, can be solved in 2:30 or less. If I'm not at least close to an answer by 1:45-2:00, then I know I am probably not utilizing my time on a given problem properly. In other words, there is likely a quicker way to reach an answer.

For me to know that I have mastered a concept/problem, I feel I need to be reaching the answer by the path of least resistance. I don't consider a concept mastered simply by reaching the correct answer. I consider it mastered when I am able to reach the answer with as little work as possible.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Question about the OG Quant Book [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 09:57
600orBust wrote:
Thanks for the response, gurpree.

This won't be my first time taking the GMAT. I am trying to improve to a 600+ after scoring in the low 500's the first time.

I'm well aware that some problems do require more than 2 minutes.

What I'm saying though is that most questions, especially around 600 level, can be solved in 2:30 or less. If I'm not at least close to an answer by 1:45-2:00, then I know I am probably not utilizing my time on a given problem properly. In other words, there is likely a quicker way to reach an answer.

For me to know that I have mastered a concept/problem, I feel I need to be reaching the answer by the path of least resistance. I don't consider a concept mastered simply by reaching the correct answer. I consider it mastered when I am able to reach the answer with as little work as possible.

That can only be achieved if you have strong grasp of the fundamentals. So if you are sure you have laid a good foundation of the concepts, then only time yourself else learn the concepts again.

If you can solve a particular question in less than 2 minutes, it is possible that in the exam you may panic because of stress. But if you have laid a good foundation of the concepts then even under stress you can perform well.

IMO, it is very essential to hit the required level of accuracy first and then timing.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Question about the OG Quant Book   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2010, 09:57