Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Question about WE [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 07:58
Hi Paul,

I posted this question in another place, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on whether adcoms take one's undergrad institution into account when reviewing your profile, especially for people in MC and IB. I ask because it seems to me that it is much more impressive for an applicant coming out of Lehigh, for example, to get a job at Deloitte Consulting (due to the relative paucity of MC jobs/recruiters at Lehigh) than it is for a Harvard grad to get the same job, since the Harvard grad presumably was recruited for m/b/b/booz/monitor/parthenon/everywhere else.

Granted, of course, the harvard undergrad will be seen as better than Lehigh for fairly obvious reasons, but since it's basically impossible to get McKinsey without going to a target school, could the lehigh grad get noticed for outperforming his peers? I ask because it seems like WE and undergrad are linked, and someone could easily have chosen a second-tier school over a first tier due to things like fit or financial aid or whatever, and they should thus have gotten access to the best jobs available after undergrad.

But do adcoms think like this? or is it that higher pedigree is basically universally important?

As a bathtub lined with white porcelain,
When the hot water gives out or goes tepid,
So is the slow cooling of our chivalrous passion,
O my much praised but-not-altogether-satisfactory lady.

-Ezra Pound

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about WE [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 14:41
Expert's post
nanodearokane,

Adcoms do take into account the applicant's accomplishments relative to the school he matriculated at. They understand that not everyone can go to Harvard so they are interested in learning about your performance at Lehigh and the kinds of opportunities you made for yourself after graduating from it. Applicants from non-elite schools are not "discriminated" against; however, you will not be cut much slack if your GPA was poor or if you didn't get involved in much extracurricularly. So an applicant from Lehigh who has a superb GPA, significant undergrad leadership, and then lands a job at a firm that Lehigh grads generally don't get jobs at will probably impress the adcoms more than someone who is just a "typical" Harvard grad.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about WE [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 06:41
Thanks Paul! That's certainly encouraging (and great to know!)

As a bathtub lined with white porcelain,
When the hot water gives out or goes tepid,
So is the slow cooling of our chivalrous passion,
O my much praised but-not-altogether-satisfactory lady.

-Ezra Pound

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about WE [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 10:33
Expert's post