Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about whether to apply this year or wait...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question about whether to apply this year or wait... [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 07:19
Hi guys,
I have a small dilemma. I basically bombed the quant section of the GMAT. I’ve realized that tricks like plugging in, etc. aren’t going to cut it for this exam and that I am really lacking in the quant department. My goal is to get into a business PhD but my math background is not nearly as extensive as the other profiles on here.
So here’s my dilemma, should I try to take a refresher algebra course in the fall re-take the GMAT and apply this year, or wait until next year to apply and take math courses at the local university throughout the year and build up my resume. The issue is, if I wait until next year to apply I’ll be 31...so I’m asking the experts here if my profile will look better if I take a refresher algebra class and bust to get apps in by January and re-take the GMAT or wait a year and focus on taking math classes which will probably increase my GMAT score and make me more competitive.
Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about whether to apply this year or wait... [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 07:31
If you don't mind posting it, what was your split scores? If you get a great Verbal score, but your quant is lower and your overall score is still great on the retake, then taking an extra college math course (and work your tail off to get an A in it too) could be enough to prevent the adcom from thinking you lack the quant ability. Just my take on it. I'm certainly no admissions guru.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question about whether to apply this year or wait... [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 19:35
I think the amount of math that will be required of you in a PhD program can be pretty formidable... more than most people expect, so taking additional courses is a good idea.

From what I can glean, most schools are looking for you to have taken Calc I & II as well as linear algebra (which has Calc III as a pre req). These classes will form the basis for probability theory and thus inferential statistics, which you will use throughout your career as a researcher. None of these classes will help you on the GMAT per se, but if you can get through all of them you should be able to bump up your Quant score a bit...

the bad news is that these classes are pretty rough. good news is that once you move on to higher maths you will learn a new way of looking at the world.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Question about whether to apply this year or wait... [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 19:49
Just to throw another wrench into this.... but have you considered taking the GRE instead? Most business PhD programs accept GRE scores, and depending on which program you apply to, even prefer GRE scores. The quant section is also easier on the GRE.
Re: Question about whether to apply this year or wait...   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2008, 19:49