Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question for current students regarding internships

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Engineering
WE 2: Technical Marketing
WE 3: Corp. Strategy/Business Dev.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 11:35
Hi folks,

I'm hoping that current students here can help shed some light on a question regarding summer internships. Since some recruiting for summer internships occur before fall semester grades are posted, what do companies use as a screen? Do undergrad GPAs come into play? I'm particularly interested in how investment banks and management consulting firms screen first years, assuming you're applying from either a top 20 and/or a target program...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 12:48
Im not in an MBA program yet, but i too have a low UG gpa and have asked the same question of students. Some schools have grade non disclosure, so you cant tell a potential employer your MBA grades until after you graduate ( most top schools have this) in this case UGPA is very important.
McKinsey will ask for your GPA on its application. Not all of them do but they may ask you in an interview, that is if you can get one. I'm not sure about IB but i imagine its the same....certain companies care enough to ask you pre interview, other may never ask.

So what the hell are we supposed to do?
well networking will be even more important for us. I'm not sure how low your gpa is but if a company gets to know you and likes you enough they may over look it if you have the right skills and are otherwise an excellent fit for them.

Another thing is that you have to rock your classes. While you aren't supposed to disclose your grades there are all kinds of titles and awards that while not giving away your exact grades do show that you are in the top 20% or even 10% of your class. Im making the following example up but if you put Presidential Scholar on your resume and you go to Duke, people know you have above a 3.75 or whatever.

Grade inflation during graduate school unfortunately makes your grad GPA less meaningful, but if its from a name brand school its will help regardless. Also a sky high GMAT can make it easier on you. Ideally you should have 700+ for most MC and IB jobs.

Hope this helps and its a great question. i hope we get some other insights

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 13:13
While recruiters were on campus before grades were out, we had our first term's grades before any resume drops happened. I assume most schools are this way. Consulting firms are notorious for asking for your life story...I only filled out one consulting application, but they asked for test results of every kind, including breakdowns (ACT, SAT, GRE, MCAT, GMAT, etc). I'm sure they asked for undergrad GPA as well.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 17:37
most IB firms will ask for your SAT / college GPA on the online application. GMAT is definitely a filter, but especially in IB, the main filter is the # of bankers you've met over the recruiting period. if you have a 3.9 college gpa but have only met with 3 bankers, you won't get called in for an interview, whereas the guy with a 3.2 but who has met 20 bankers will likely get called in.

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 18:02
Few random comments/observations:

1) We have grade non-disclosure so grades really don't matter

2) Some consulting firms (only thing I'm recruiting for) ask for undergrad GPA on the apps. Some ask if you get called back for second rounds

3) GMAT matters but not nearly as much as b school apps. Not even close to as much

Overall, from what I've seen, if you put in effort during the process, you will get an interview (I don't know anyone who put in lots of effort at a firm who didn't get an interview. Well, maybe 1 or 2 but its rare). After that, you can overcome a low GPA easily and a low GMAT fairly easily. If you kill your interview you'll get an offer even if those data points are weak. That said, if its a tie between you and the 3.6/770 kid, she is getting the offer.

Don't worry about it at all for now (and go to a school w/ grade non-disclosure)

That said, poor GPA, GMAT and a low PST score will make the battle at Mckinsey a bit harder.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Question for current students regarding internships [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 12:54
I would assume that this process follows similar to that of applying to colleges, as the second semester information is not available when applications are being reviewed. I believe that they would simply look at your fall transcripts and grades, but may follow up with later grades.
Re: Question for current students regarding internships   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2011, 12:54