Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 17:12
I have been using the MGMAT series to study for quant the past couple of months. I am going through the books again and am finding that I have forgotten some of the details and concepts. I remember the vast majority of concepts from the books, but am forgetting some as well. For those that used the books to study from, how much of the entire concepts did you retain come test time. For example, I think right now, I have retained roughly 70 - 80 % of all the material from the books, but am wondering if the top scorers had all concepts down cold (i.e. could easily work through every problem at the back of the chapters - with your eyes closed :) without missing any problems)?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 18:01
Hey Calicpa,

I am going through the MGMAT books as well. I know exactly what you are facing. To counter this problem I am making flashcards for the concepts I struggle with. I go over these flashcards once a week and solve 2 questions of each type. This has helped me retain a lot of concepts gathered from MGMAT books.
Manager
Manager

Re: Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 21:17
Great idea. I have been flagging each paragraph that contains a concept that I didnt retain from the last time I went through the books.

Any other thoughts from people that have used the books to score high on the test? How much of the information from the books did you feel that you retained come test time? I feel like I need to have the concepts down 100% to break 700+.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 04:10
Hello CaliCpa,

This is another one of those "it depends on you" questions.

As I mentioned in my debrief, on my first attempt at the GMAT, I would study study study study and see little to no improvement. I was reading the material, doing problems, etc, but it just was not working. Then, during the online MGMAT class (taken before attempt #2), I began maintaining a simple error log, first noting the problems I guessed on, and also noting the problems I got wrong (when checking). I would review the material to figure out why I missed the problems in question. I would look into:

Did I use the right approach for the quant problem
Did I reduce the problems sufficiently for a DS problem
What part of the passage did I miss for RC
What part of the sentence structure did not consider for parallelism, noun/verb agreement, etc.
Do I know the equations for the area/volume/etc for the figure in question

This really helped me get through specific topics I kept getting wrong or spent WAY too much time on to get correct (SC, special triangles, etc.). It also helped be develop shorthand for problems overall (shorthand on RC, CR, SC, DS, etc.).

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 10:03
Thank you. I was thinking of just moving back to the GMAT Club tests, but am now thinking that I will spend an extra week going back through the book and the end of chapter questions that I missed the first time around.
Re: Question for High Scoring MGMAT Users   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2009, 10:03