Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

question for paul

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
question for paul [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 16:28
Hi Paul,

Your response to the following question

-------------
1. The period when the great painted caves at Lascaux and Altamira were occupied by Upper Paleolithic people has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are the reason for their decoration, the use to which primitive people put the caves, and the meaning of the magnificently depicted animals.
A. has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine are
B. has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what is much more difficult to determine is
---------------

was

--------------
Hi hardworker, although I chose B for the same reason as Venksune, your questioning made me look for a black on white grammar rule which could explain this interesting concept. Interesting question indeed. I looked through bartleby.com and I figured that this question had to do with the use of "what". What I found was most interesting.

1- When "what" is the subject of a clause and the complement of the main clause are singular, the verb agrees with them
2- When "what" is the subject of a clause and the complement of the main clause are plural, the verb agrees with them

ie What he wanted after filing for divorce was the car, the house and the dog. --> you can see that the complement in blue are singular so "was" is singular. This is similar to the original question.
ie What he wanted after filing for divorce were the two cars, the properties and the pets. --> complement are plural so "were" is right.

3- Sometimes, you may find instances where "what" is not conjugated with the complement: This can happen in the case the writer wants to set a contrast between two nouns.
ie What John likes most are bread and butter --> this means that bread and butter should be considered as two independent nouns and each, seperately, accounts for what John likes
ie What John likes most is bread and butter --> this means that "bread and butter", as a single entity/group, is what John likes. Hence, "is" is appropriate.

4- When "what" is the object of a clause, if the complement is singular, then the verb should be singular.
5- When "what is the object of a clause, if the complement is plural, then the verb should be plural

Applying this to your examples, where "what" is used as object of a clause, you should get:
I see what seems to be a big tree. --> 3rd person singular is correct because the complement, big tree, is singular
I see what seem to be huge houses. --> 3rd person plural is correct because the complement, huge houses, is plural

You will find a link here which will give you more examples on the particularity of "what" as subject/object of a clause.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/93/W0109300.html
------------------

Just one quick question would choice A be correct if it were the following ?

has been established by carbon-14 dating, but what are much more difficult to determine are

Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 07:00
anyone who can explain this ?
  [#permalink] 06 Aug 2006, 07:00