Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QUESTION FROM WORSE MBA APPLICANT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

QUESTION FROM WORSE MBA APPLICANT [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 10:25
1. Does every school that has a minimum gpa demand you have a 3.0 or better? I have medical reasons for 2.65 from Michigan and Michigan state and 580-600 gmats
2. I'm gonna take a couple classes now to build an alternative transcript. Is going to a regular college like FAU better than a community college or does it not matter?
3. What classes should I take? I took everything in undergrad at a big ten school and majored in Economics. I did well in stats, math, finance. I did horribly in accounting and other random things. What besides accounting is considered a good thing to take?
thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 11:53
What schools have a minimum GPA? I have a 2.8 and none of the schools i'm applying to have reported any GPA cutoffs.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 11:55
eazyb81 wrote:
What schools have a minimum GPA? I have a 2.8 and none of the schools i'm applying to have reported any GPA cutoffs.

oh yeah.. only top 25 forsure don't have it. schools like FSU, Michigan State, Louisville have it. Look on their website
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 12:56
golfpro20050 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

oh yeah.. only top 25 forsure don't have it. schools like FSU, Michigan State, Louisville have it. Look on their website

that's odd, you would think it would work the opposite way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 13:09
He's right, top schools don't enforce a strict GPA and/or GMAT score cutoff. They will just ding you after taking your $250 for the app and reviewing it. Non-elite schools, on the contrary, tend to have hard limits.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 01:44
golfpro20050 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

So what is the minimum cutoff at these schools? 2.8 ..3.0?
Does a low GPA mean that they won't even read your application. Can a low GPA not be offset by other strengths.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: QUESTION FROM WORSE MBA APPLICANT [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 17:53
golfpro20050 wrote:
1. Does every school that has a minimum gpa demand you have a 3.0 or better? I have medical reasons for 2.65 from Michigan and Michigan state and 580-600 gmats
2. I'm gonna take a couple classes now to build an alternative transcript. Is going to a regular college like FAU better than a community college or does it not matter?
3. What classes should I take? I took everything in undergrad at a big ten school and majored in Economics. I did well in stats, math, finance. I did horribly in accounting and other random things. What besides accounting is considered a good thing to take?
thanks

Golfpro20050,

1. I don't know the answer to that question. 3.0 is a logical cutoff since it is roughly the threshold between a "C" average (mediocrity) and a "B" average (better than mediocre). But it's probably something you'll have to explore on a school-by-school basis. As mentioned, higher-ranked schools will not *automatically* ding anyone purely because of some specific number.

2. A good grade from a decent school would reflect better on you than one from a community college, but the important thing is to get the good grade (i.e., an A).

3. Well, obviously, take accounting. Aside from accounting, adcoms usually like to see core coursework in statistics, calculus, and so on. An A in anything MBA-related that's rigorous and quantitative will reflect well on you.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 09:29
i'm right in your range in terms of gpa/scores...but what kind of experience are these b-schools looking for??? i mean, if i have your numbers, how long will i have to be in the working world before these schools will give me a look?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 10:08
sammie21 wrote:
i'm right in your range in terms of gpa/scores...but what kind of experience are these b-schools looking for??? i mean, if i have your numbers, how long will i have to be in the working world before these schools will give me a look?

What is your profile? Well, Unless you're looking at a top 30 programs, they will take you without work experience. What programs you looking at?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2007, 10:09
sammie21 wrote:

What is your profile? Well, Unless you're looking at a top 30 programs, they will take you without work experience. What programs you looking at?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 16:35
sammie21 wrote:

Generally speaking, schools look for 2-3 years of full-time work experience after college.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter