Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question on MGMAT SC example

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Question on MGMAT SC example [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 21:04
Hi,

I have a doubt in "Meaning-Place Your Words" section from MGMAT book. Page#22 (4th edition;chapter 2) has the following example:

"WRONG": The council granted the right to make legal petitions TO CITY OFFICIALS.
one of the two "RIGHT" options: The right to make legal petitions TO CITY OFFICIALS was granted by the council.

Explanation given for this:
What does the phrase to city officials mean? Did the city officials receive the right to make
legal petitions? Or did someone else receive the right to make petitions to the officials?
Either way, the correct sentence should resolve the ambiguity.

It is still not clear to me. Can anyone please explain what is the difference between above two statements?

"Not everyone who works hard succeeds. But all those who succeeded have worked hard!" ~~ Coach Kamogawa

Best,
ItsNotOver

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 875 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on MGMAT SC example [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 00:07
itsnotover wrote:
Hi,

I have a doubt in "Meaning-Place Your Words" section from MGMAT book. Page#22 (4th edition;chapter 2) has the following example:

"WRONG": The council granted the right to make legal petitions TO CITY OFFICIALS.
one of the two "RIGHT" options: The right to make legal petitions TO CITY OFFICIALS was granted by the council.

Explanation given for this:
What does the phrase to city officials mean? Did the city officials receive the right to make
legal petitions? Or did someone else receive the right to make petitions to the officials?
Either way, the correct sentence should resolve the ambiguity.

It is still not clear to me. Can anyone please explain what is the difference between above two statements?

Both these sentences look same to me with former written in active voice and latter in passive, and both these sentences seem to intend that the right was granted to someone(ELSE) to make petitions to CITY officials. So, the city officials are actually getting the petitions, not the right.

If it were written as:
Right was granted to the city officials to make legal petitions.

This sentence would convey otherwise.

Comments!!!

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Question on MGMAT SC example [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 08:13
hmmmm...thanks fluke. I was also thinking that two sentences are conveying the same meaning. Book says first one is wrong and the second one as Right. So the author might have intended something else.

"Not everyone who works hard succeeds. But all those who succeeded have worked hard!" ~~ Coach Kamogawa

Best,
ItsNotOver

Re: Question on MGMAT SC example   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2011, 08:13