Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:05

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question on what to carry to the interview

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 22:21
Hi
Any suggestions on what things one should carry to the interview? Should i take a copy of the resume? Anything else?
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 22:24
A portfolio would be nice and a note pad/pen would be helpful if you need to write things down sometimes.

I don't think these days people use "briefcase" anymore, since really who brings documents when you have a laptop. Girls can carry a purse of fine leather.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 22:35
Should I carry my laptop? What did everyone do?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 23:09
When i meet my interviewer should I give him a copy of my resume/ offer a copy of my resume or wait for him to ask me for it.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2009, 23:27
I didn't bring my laptop. Just a portfolio with resume/note pad/pen. They will ask you for your resume if they don't already have it.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 01:42
just bring a portfolio with some papers inside, a pen, and your resume. dont bring a laptop or anything like that. also, keep your phone off or on silent (not vibrate), as if it vibrates in the middle of your interview, chances are they will still be able to hear it.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 10:37
Thanks everyone for the answers
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 14:04
also business cards!

my gmat review:
gmat-review-770-q50-v44-86800.html

MBA charts:
http://mbacharts.appspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 09:13
I agree with everyone here...checklist should be a nice portfolio, nice pen, resume, business cards, and HEAD SHOTS (j/k) :lol:

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS(R2) Interview, Kellogg(R2) Admit
WE 1: Hi-Tech
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:01
Sorry for the ignorance. But what is a portfolio?
Do you just mean a folder that contains resume, blank papers, pen etc? or some more documents of yourpast achievements?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 7

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:26
This post received
KUDOS
highhopes09 wrote:
Sorry for the ignorance. But what is a portfolio?
Do you just mean a folder that contains resume, blank papers, pen etc? or some more documents of yourpast achievements?

Yes, usually leather too. Sometimes called a "padfolio". Google it.

I bought a nice enough black one in college at the university bookstore for like 20 or 30 bucks. Has holder for pad of paper, opposite side for other papers, and slot for business cards.

Example:
http://common3.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/ ... dfolio.jpg
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS(R2) Interview, Kellogg(R2) Admit
WE 1: Hi-Tech

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:31
Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:38
Isn't it redundant to bring a portfolio if the only thing you're going to have in it is a copy of your resume? If you've already submitted an application to the school you're interviewing at, they've probably read your resume and will have a copy waiting in the interview room.

I didn't bring anything to mine, but then again I haven't gotten in anywhere so my opinion isn't worth much.
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:51
Bringing the extra resume is interviewing 101. Maybe they read your resume, but didn't print it out, or forgot sections of it. It is always good to have an extra resume, it makes you look more prepared then not having one. Why take the risk of not bringing one?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 14:52
I'd bring it. You never know if the interviewer may have forgotten yours, or misplaced it, or perhaps the school didn't print it out. Its the same reason you bring copies to normal job interviews too
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 15:28
wmcrockett wrote:
Isn't it redundant to bring a portfolio if the only thing you're going to have in it is a copy of your resume? If you've already submitted an application to the school you're interviewing at, they've probably read your resume and will have a copy waiting in the interview room.

I didn't bring anything to mine, but then again I haven't gotten in anywhere so my opinion isn't worth much.

For at least 2 of my 4 interviews, I was asked for a resume, even though I had uploaded it as part of the interview confirmation (they also had it in my application). Part of me was wondering why they didn't just print it off, and the other part of me felt a huge wave of relief that I came prepared on the expectation they had lost all of my materials.

You don't want to let the things you have complete control over pose any risk to your candidacy.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 16:35
I second all the posters saying that that bringing an extra resume just makes good sense. As for the actual portfolio/padfolio itself, I'd say that's mostly style points. It's not like bringing in your resume in a plain manila folder is going to get you automatically dinged. OTOH, as they say, you only have one chance to make a first impression, and who really knows what a random interviewer might consider important.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 17:56
Along those lines, feel free to leave the bic pen that you've chewed in half at home too :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 21:37
Good question and great answers.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, USC, NYU
WE 1: 5 Years, Entertainment and Technology

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Question on what to carry to the interview [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 19:05
Is it inappropriate to bring a small gift? I am a re-applicant interviewing with the same adcom officer as last year and she mentioned that she could use some of the products that my company sells. I can get sample products for a negligible price.

Do you think that a small gift could be misconstrued as being inappropriate?
Re: Question on what to carry to the interview   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2010, 19:05