Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 06:52
Hi guys,

I just started the Veritas prep course, and according the instructor, one SHOULD NOT look at any other material until you've completed and understood the Veritas material. Now my concern is, how can I ignore the OG for the next few weeks, wouldnt it make sense to do problems out of that alongside my Vertias course.

I do have a basic understanding of both Quant and Verbal material and I have all the MGMAT books as well. Would you guys advise to use all my materials and prep, or solely concentrate on Veritas?

Thanks for the help
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 07:02
I dont know anything about the veritas material, but I fail to see how you being proactive could hurt your preprations.

Sounds like Veritas wants "either Veritas way or the highway" - a rather closed minded approach IMO.

ca_gold wrote:
Hi guys,

I just started the Veritas prep course, and according the instructor, one SHOULD NOT look at any other material until you've completed and understood the Veritas material. Now my concern is, how can I ignore the OG for the next few weeks, wouldnt it make sense to do problems out of that alongside my Vertias course.

I do have a basic understanding of both Quant and Verbal material and I have all the MGMAT books as well. Would you guys advise to use all my materials and prep, or solely concentrate on Veritas?

Thanks for the help
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 07:09
Hi Bsd,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. I dont see how it would hurt me to use the MG books alongside Veritas. Almost every poster on this board swears by their SC book and the OG. I was just a little shocked when they said ignore it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 07:45
For your Verbal score's sake, I would at least pick up the MGMAT SC book and use that instead of Veritas' two books. There is no comparison; MGMAT blows Veritas right out of the water in this area.

MGMAT's math materials also seem to fill gaps left by the Veritas materials. I would encourage you to take a look at any of those books to see if they help you as much as they helped me during my prep.

The Veritas materials actually use many of the questions from OG. However, figuring out which ones are and which ones aren't is not a fun activity. You may be better off spending some extra time on the difficult OG questions straight from the source (the questions are ordered by difficulty in the 11th edition books).

Head-to-Head Analysis: Veritas Prep versus Manhattan GMAT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 08:21
I think that Veritas just wants you to buy into a strategy first and then use that strategy to solve additional problems. People may use tons of material and go through tons of problems but you'll find those who use a specific strategy consistently do well.

Oh and the problems from Veritas are typically from the OG.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 19:33
They're mixing questions from the OG with theirs for homework assignments?! That would totally irritate me. Princeton Review just gives you the OG and assigns it for homework.
Re: Question Regarding Advice from a prep class instructor   [#permalink] 12 May 2008, 19:33