Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

question: shud i explain lack of extracurricular?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
question: shud i explain lack of extracurricular? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2007, 07:13
I had very good extracurricualr in colleges (both undergrad and grad). However, once I joined work, I had to endure a divorce and took me almost three years to come out of it. During that time, I tried to focus on work as much as possible (even that was hard to do)

I did not mention this anywhere in essays, but if someone asks me (in interviews) why my post college excurr are weak, is that a good reason to tell? I had a trial session with some one at clearadmit.com, she asked me that question but I did not give this reason
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2007, 07:23
Well I think its unreasonable to expect that people have extra curriculars throughout life well in school and college you did not have personal responsibilities hence you could afford to do

I think you should answer it in a positive way like you spent some time on self refelection and learning from past happenings and trying to avoid in future. This i believe will be like saying Things have been rough but I havent given up I am trying to learn and improve my self. Even great leaders go thru such times.

Saying you took time to get over, I feel sounds a bit -ve
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2007, 14:45
It's a valid explanation for dropping out of community life for a while. If someone asks, I would say simply that you had a number of family issues to deal with during that time. Your focus was on your family life and your work. Then turn to the positive: you did a lot in college (metion them - show depth of involvement and what you gained from them, and how they contributed to a happy planet) and really look forward to joining a new community where you are particularly excited about getting involved in XYZ.

Keep it positive. Don't dwell on the negative.
  [#permalink] 02 Jan 2007, 14:45