Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions 1-2 are based on the following. Blood banks will

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Questions 1-2 are based on the following. Blood banks will [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 22:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:47) wrong based on 1 sessions
Questions 1-2 are based on the following.
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.
1. The argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

2. Which of the following inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?
(A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.
(B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.
(C) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.
(D) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.
(E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 22:36
For first one: I am confused with D & E. 10% of actual donors & 2/3 of NANB : there is a difference in actual vs NANB infected cases.

For second one:

It can be "D"

Kindly confirm my thinking!! :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 22:48
ankur55 wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.
(A) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, carry other infections for which reliable screening tests are routinely performed.
(B) Donors carrying NANB hepatitis do not, in a large percentage of cases, develop the disease themselves at any point.
(C) The estimate of the number of donors who would be disqualified by tests for NANB hepatitis is an underestimate.
(D) The incidence of NANB hepatitis is lower among the potential blood donors than it is in the population at large.
(E) The donors who will still supply NANB-contaminated blood will donate blood at the average frequency for all donors.

Using the negation test, I find (A) to be the best answer. If a large percentage of carriers can be detected because they carry other infections, then the actual number of carriers who end up donating will be reduced; they will be filtered out by other tests.

Quote:
2. Which of the following inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?
(A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.
(B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.
(E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.

The safest answer here would be (D). We know the new test will disqualify a percentage of potential donors that is greater than 0 & less than 5. So, all else being equal, we can expect the available blood supplies to decrease, since less people are able to donate.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 00:32
Yes indeed OA is A and D
Thanks, understood the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 23:14
Nice tough question..
A and D should be the answers..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 02:27
GMATaddict wrote:
ankur55 wrote:

Using the negation test, I find (A) to be the best answer. If a large percentage of carriers can be detected because they carry other infections, then the actual number of carriers who end up donating will be reduced; they will be filtered out by other tests.

Quote:

The safest answer here would be (D). We know the new test will disqualify a percentage of potential donors that is greater than 0 & less than 5. So, all else being equal, we can expect the available blood supplies to decrease, since less people are able to donate.

for 1st question why cant the ans be E.If you apply the negation test to E,then it would be that the donors are not donating blood at the aveg frequency as other donors,then also their number would decrease.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 02:48
Good question..
A and D for me too..

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 16:49
shrutisingh wrote:
GMATaddict wrote:
ankur55 wrote:

Quote:

for 1st question why cant the ans be E.If you apply the negation test to E,then it would be that the donors are not donating blood at the aveg frequency as other donors,then also their number would decrease.

to my understanding, E can't be the answer because the article talked about each donor, so for example. a donor that donates multiple times a year is the same as a donor that donate one time a year...so the frequency is not discussed in this passage?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 13:31
A and D make most sense to me
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 15:35
a and d for me too
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 345 [0], given: 13

Re: Blood Bank [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 08:40
I had thought for E & D. but now i get why its has to be A for first question

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Re: Blood Bank   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 08:40