Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions 10-11 are based on the following As one who has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Questions 10-11 are based on the following As one who has [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 19:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Questions 10-11 are based on the following
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

Q. The authors main point is that

A. although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

B. Americas moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth

C. the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

D. Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

E. disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 19:51
ajisha wrote:
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

A. although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

C. the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

D. Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

E. disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

E is the answer.

The author thinks that the best way to put off fire is by using water. Truth should be used as the way to defend the disinformation campain by soviets. Instead we sould not resort to the similar disinformation campaign against the soviet union and protect our country's interests. E clearly expresses author's intention. C could be considered, but author doesn't mention any long term gains or long term losses. so C is out of scope and eliminated.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: cr [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 22:08
ajisha wrote:

Ive never seen a CR like this b/f. I choose E.

A: author never mentions anything about ethics, although it is easy to get sucked into this answer.

B. again no actual discussion about morals or ethics. again easy to get sucked into b/c of the word "truth" given earlier. Maybe telling the truth in this situation is more unethical. We don't know.

C. never discussed anything about gains or losses of either strategy.

D. way out of scope, cannot determine this from info given.

POE led me to E. Wuts the source of this?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 23:50
I would go with E.

The only point author makes is that continuing with the current practice is not the right way. This is evident from the last line.

going with any of the other choices would be to think beyond what is stated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 13:52
I pick E too.
The only one staying within the boundaries of the argument. Other choices stretch the words and their meaning too far
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 15:44
The clue here is when the author says fire department finds water more effective.

That stresses that he does not agree that the policy of disinformation serves America's cause.

I choose E.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 03:29
'E' is the best.

Author points out that the firemen find water to be more effective than fire.
So author thinks that the disinformation comapign is not effective in serving the America's political interest.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 11:17
Thanks guys,

OA is E
  [#permalink] 11 Sep 2007, 11:17