Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [29]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [11]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Send PM
Re: Shanna: Owners of any work of art, simply by virtue of ownership, ethi [#permalink]
Kudos
piyatiwari wrote:
I would go with C.

On the basis of their statements, Shanna and Jorge are committed to disagreeing about the truth of which one of the following statements?

>> Question asks us to identify the assumption made by Shanna and Jorge while they make statements about distruction of artsy stuff. They both assume that any damage/destruction to/of artsy things will be done intentionally. C denies that.

(C) Valuable paintings by well-known artists are seldom intentionally damaged or destroyed by their owners.
Seldom is something which skews this answer. Moreover it is uniqueness rather than valueable-ness of the painting which differs the opinion between two speakers.

OE says that Answer choice (C) states that valuable paintings are seldom destroyed by their owners. Whether or not this occurs is a factual issue that can be determined by examining records, etc.
And since the argument is ethical, so any factual answer ie C or E could be answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
Re: Shanna: Owners of any work of art, simply by virtue of ownership, ethi [#permalink]
vinayaerostar wrote:
D
It is uniqueness of art and not Non-uniqueness which is creating problems here, so presence of "non-uniqueness" makes this choice incorrect.

As per OE==>
Other wrong answer choices will supply statements that both speakers would agree with, or that both speakers would disagree with. Answer choice (D) is incorrect because both speakers would agree with the statement. Shanna would agree because her ownership beliefs allow for the destruction of any owned artwork. Jorge would agree because the sculpture in question is not unique, and thus does not meet the qualifications Jorge imposed in his argument. If both speakers have the same opinion about an answer choice, then that answer choice must be wrong in a Point at Issue question.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 26 Feb 2012, 05:30.
Last edited by joshnsit on 26 Feb 2012, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
boomtangboy wrote:
+1 E
whats the OA?
Even I selected this, but it has been rejected by OE. OE says that E is factual and I am facing trouble in sorting out options as factual and ethical in my selection that is why I posted this question in order to get some idea if some one could help me in finding how factual and ethical answers are to be located.

OE for rejecting E ==> Answer choice (E) discusses the legal permissibility of destroying a valuable mural. Whether or not it is legally permissible to destroy the mural is also a factual issue, not a moral issue.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 26 Feb 2012, 05:35.
Last edited by joshnsit on 01 Mar 2012, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
khaadu wrote:
i guess B
It shouldn't be B as question is about destroying and not viewing of paintings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
I would go with A.

B) irrelevant
C) Is a stated fact. Disagreements on these would not be along the lines of whether intentional destruction is justified or not. They would rather be along the lines of whether it occurs or not... therefore wrong
D) Their is no disagreement between the two on this issue as even Jorge only argues agains the right to destroy UNIQUE objects of art and not all objects of art. so wrong
E) The legality is not in question. irrelevant.

A by POE and also because it refers to the destruction of a work of art being justified simply because the person destroying it is the owner.. the object is also presumably unique because it is a portrait of the owners father. A fits best. Good question.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OA is A. Thanks for discussion, guys.
Though if anyone could post on how to differentiate between ethical and factual choices, it would be helpful.
karun0109 wrote:
I would go with A.

B) irrelevant
C) Is a stated fact. Disagreements on these would not be along the lines of whether intentional destruction is justified or not. They would rather be along the lines of whether it occurs or not... therefore wrong
D) Their is no disagreement between the two on this issue as even Jorge only argues agains the right to destroy UNIQUE objects of art and not all objects of art. so wrong
E) The legality is not in question. irrelevant.

A by POE and also because it refers to the destruction of a work of art being justified simply because the person destroying it is the owner.. the object is also presumably unique because it is a portrait of the owners father. A fits best. Good question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Is E wrong because we are talking about legal obligation ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankujgupta wrote:
Is E wrong because we are talking about legal obligation ?

Your understanding is correct. If one of the persons said that it is legal to destroy artwork and the other said it is illegal, then option E would be correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Was thinking about A, but sided with B. The reason i steered clear of A was because it did not mention anything about " aesthetic or historical
value", which the second argument hinges on. Instead, I felt that B was closer to the original argument as instead of destroying a piece of work, an individual could just file it away forever, never to be seen again.

Could someone give me their two cents on this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,
But how can the portrait in option A has any historical value?
Jorge presents his view on unique artworks,not any form of art just like a simple portrait of anyone's father.

Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
Jorge presents his view on unique artworks,not any form of art just like a simple portrait of anyone's father.

Thanks

The portrait may have aesthetic value (Jorge argues about portraits with aesthetic OR historical value).

One may argue that since a portrait owned by him / her depicts his / her own father, he / she has the right to destroy it. Shanna would agree with this person, indicating that owning the artwork is enough to have the right to destroy it, but Jorge would disagree, indicating that the portrait may be aesthetically valuable, and thus the owner does not have right to destroy it.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
pafrompa wrote:
Was thinking about A, but sided with B. The reason i steered clear of A was because it did not mention anything about " aesthetic or historical
value", which the second argument hinges on. Instead, I felt that B was closer to the original argument as instead of destroying a piece of work, an individual could just file it away forever, never to be seen again.

B is out of scope because the difference in Shanna's view and Jorge's view is not about whether the artwork should be made available for public vieweing, but about the right to destroy an artwork. My above post explains why option A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
pafrompa wrote:

B is out of scope because the difference in Shanna's view and Jorge's view is not about whether the artwork should be made available for public vieweing, but about the right to destroy an artwork. My above post explains why option A is correct.

We have to select the option for which both Shanna and Jorge disagree (Please correct if I am wrong).
Then how come A is correct ?
It will be really helpful if you can explain all the options :)
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
hotshot02 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
pafrompa wrote:

We have to select the option for which both Shanna and Jorge disagree (Please correct if I am wrong).
Then how come A is correct ?

It will be really helpful if you can explain all the options :)

If we say that we disagree about some point, the statement implies that we are on the opposite sides about that point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks

The portrait may have aesthetic value (Jorge argues about portraits with aesthetic OR historical value).

One may argue that since a portrait owned by him / her depicts his / her own father, he / she has the right to destroy it. Shanna would agree with this person, indicating that owning the artwork is enough to have the right to destroy it, but Jorge would disagree, indicating that the portrait may be aesthetically valuable, and thus the owner does not have right to destroy it.

We dont know if the portrait is valuable or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM