Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions about GPA for MBA applications!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Questions about GPA for MBA applications! [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 14:52
Hi guys, I have two questions regarding undergrad GPA calculation for MBA applications. Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

1. I took a class out of sequence, and therefore I do not get credit for it. It does not count on my university GPA, BUT my transcript does show the grade. Would schools usually include that grade in my GPA?
2. I did very poorly during my semester abroad in the UK. Equivalent to CS and Ds. On my home university transcript it just shows the courses as pass/fail, but I'm sure the abroad university has the actual grades that I got. How likely is it that I will be asked to produce the actual grades from that semester? And could this be a deal breaker if they see those grades?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Questions about GPA for MBA applications! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 06:45
Expert's post
Hey there, two great questions and the 2nd one is pretty common. Let's get you some answers!

1) This varies but a lot of programs do recalculate the GPA just to make sure. However, let's say they do. Then they have one number, and your transcript has another. Solution? To the optional essay, Batman! This is the perfect place to explain (in a short fashion) what the deal is here. Do the work for them. Explain what out of sequence means, why it isn't included, and what impact it has on your GPA if you were to include it.

2) You have no idea how often this comes up. Semester abroad, it would appear, also means time to have fun. Who knew?! :) If your school has a pass/fail agreement with the partner institution then no, you do not need to submit a transcript. Once again, easily explained in the optional essay but something that happens a lot.

Hope that helps!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions about GPA for MBA applications! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 23:17
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hey there, two great questions and the 2nd one is pretty common. Let's get you some answers!

1) This varies but a lot of programs do recalculate the GPA just to make sure. However, let's say they do. Then they have one number, and your transcript has another. Solution? To the optional essay, Batman! This is the perfect place to explain (in a short fashion) what the deal is here. Do the work for them. Explain what out of sequence means, why it isn't included, and what impact it has on your GPA if you were to include it.

2) You have no idea how often this comes up. Semester abroad, it would appear, also means time to have fun. Who knew?! :) If your school has a pass/fail agreement with the partner institution then no, you do not need to submit a transcript. Once again, easily explained in the optional essay but something that happens a lot.

Hope that helps!

Bhavik

Thanks Bhavik for your help! I really appreciate it. And I'm especially relieved that my semester of fun will not have negative consequences on MBA admissions :D
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Questions about GPA for MBA applications! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 06:32
Expert's post
My pleasure mate :)

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Questions about GPA for MBA applications!   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 06:32