Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

questions about Haas Essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 06:13
hi,
I wanted to know your opinions about Haas PT program essays ?

a) What do you feel passionate about ?
Does the answer for this need to answer this question too implicitly - "okay so your passion is X - so why do you need an MBA or how an MBA is going to help you ? " or could this be unrelated to professional goals ?

b) How have you demostrated innovation and creativity (either professional or personal life)

Now I have point X for innovation and Y for creativity at my current employer. Do you folks think that I should ask my recommender to mention this too in the recommendation directly or will it be too much or should he just mention them in passing ?

thanks for your help.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 06:43
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

Does the answer for this need to answer this question too implicitly - "okay so your passion is X - so why do you need an MBA or how an MBA is going to help you ? " or could this be unrelated to professional goals ?

b) How have you demostrated innovation and creativity (either professional or personal life)

Now I have point X for innovation and Y for creativity at my current employer. Do you folks think that I should ask my recommender to mention this too in the recommendation directly or will it be too much or should he just mention them in passing ?

thanks for your help.

a) This can be related to unprofessional goals/hobbies like painting etc
No relation to why MBA

b) I would advise let your recomender decide what he should write. You can just give him guidelines. Becuase recomender has a perspective of you and ur skills which you may not judge by urself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 06:54
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

thanks for your help.

a) You should read this one as follows: "Please tell us about one of your passions that is quite unique, not mentioned elsewhere in your application and can be of interest to your fellow students."

b) Definitely. You should guide your recomender as much as you can. And not only with this particular example.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 07:04
venky1979 wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

thanks for your help.

No relation to why MBA

b) I would advise let your recomender decide what he should write. You can just give him guidelines. Becuase recomender has a perspective of you and ur skills which you may not judge by urself.

venky1979

Sorry buddy, but how you dare to advice people given your application status? This is not the first ( and not even second ) advise of you that is not only unhelpful, but strictly wrong. Please try out your ideas with your own app first and then start advising others. Sorry again if you find this post insulting or smth.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 09:18
deowl wrote:
venky1979 wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

thanks for your help.

No relation to why MBA

venky1979

Sorry buddy, but how you dare to advice people given your application status? This is not the first ( and not even second ) advise of you that is not only unhelpful, but strictly wrong. Please try out your ideas with your own app first and then start advising others. Sorry again if you find this post insulting or smth.

I have not given any wrong advise. my concept is give the recomender guidelines do not force hime to write every line that u dictate
This is 1) unethical 2)as explained you may not have the perspective of urself that the recomender hasof u (assuming he is ur immediate line manager)

I have used the same policy with my apps
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 09:33
deowl wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

thanks for your help.

a) You should read this one as follows: "Please tell us about one of your passions that is quite unique, not mentioned elsewhere in your application and can be of interest to your fellow students."

b) Definitely. You should guide your recomender as much as you can. And not only with this particular example.

Bingo...I think the ad-coms want to see that you can add something unique to the class...

I had a similar question, which asked 'what I do for fun'...

I think its important to not only discuss what your passion is, but also WHY you are passionate about it..keeping in mind that your audience may have no understanding of your passion..

For instance, I discussed how my biggest passion is writing, performing, and performing music..I'm a bit of a singer / songwriter..

I discussed how I love the construction process involved in writing music. What comes after the verse? How should the chorus sound? Should there be background harmonies on the outro chorus? The possibilities are endless making each song unique and special. I live for the challenge of finding that one note or chord that brings all the pieces together to form a complete song. And ultimately when performing my music, I love the idea of 'giving away' something I manufactured in my bedroom to an audience.. great feeling...ok ... so maybe I'm going off an a tangent here..but I love music...and talking about it!!

Any other GMAT club musicians here?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: questions about Haas Essays [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 11:03
deowl wrote:
venky1979 wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
hi,

thanks for your help.

No relation to why MBA

venky1979

deowl...i don't see anything wrong with the advice venky had given...No. 1 was straightforward (give the essay question)...and No. 2 was also appropriate...is there something else that you are reading and i am not...

and i maybe wrong....but i believe there could have been a more subtle way of writing your post...as Praet asked on one of the threads..."do you want to make this a BW type forum"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 08:03
thanks guys for your responses...
would love to hear more opinions.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 20:26
Re: the passion question - go back to your positioning statement. What is it you want the AdCom to take away from your application? That you are a really friendly, helpful guy? Then you might be passionate about being big brother volunteer. That you are a hard-core risk-taker investment guy? So maybe you love rock-climbing. Without a harness. Take this question as an opportunity to show them a side of you that you want them to see, and share something that sets you apart. It might even be better not to write about work, if most of your application so far has been work-related. Also, when deciding what to write about, you obviously shouldn't make anything up.

Re: how much to coach your recos - that's up to you. I think it's a good idea to give them an outline of your story, and you might mention that Innovation X (sounds like a new sex toy to me) was something that you discussed in your essays. But they might have something way more important to talk about, or innovation may not play into the recommendation requirements. You don't need to be in lock-step with them, and if you and your recos all tell the same two or three stories, you might come off as being fairly limited in your experiences. Of course, you don't want them to contradict you, either. So I guess my opinion is that they don't have to mention it, provided they have something else to talk about. But they also shouldn't say that you can't innovate for crap.

And here's my disclaimer - obviously, these are my opinions, based on what I've read here and in other places. I haven't been admitted anywhere, but at the same time, unless you work at Haas admissions, I think it's pretty impossible to say that you've got the right answers. This stuff is all very subjective and rarely black and white. And I hope we are all smart enough to take this information with a grain of salt and use our own good common sense. This advice is free, and it sure as hell isn't guaranteed.

Good luck with your app and keep us posted.
  [#permalink] 14 Feb 2007, 20:26