Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 22:15
I'm in the process of writing my second essay for NYU Stern's part time program. The question asks you to explain why you selected either weeknight or weekend classes at Washington Square or Westchester. Westchester is out of the question for me, but I'm having difficulty deciding between weeknight and weekend classes at Washington Square. If any current part timers could help answer the following questions, it would greatly help me in my decision.

(1) It seems as though the big name professors only teach during the day or at night. I looked through the course listing for the three professors that I know off the top of my head: Damodaran, Engle, and Roubini. Damodaran only teaches during the day and Engle/Roubini teach during the day and at night. So, my question is: do weeknight part timers get access to better caliber professors than weekend part timers?

(2) Which of the two programs is easier to get into? Weeknight or weekend?

(3) Is it easy to switch from weeknight to weekend classes after one year? If I opt for weeknight, but want to do a combination of weeknight and weekend classes after a year, will I have a decent shot at securing a seat in a weekend class? Or are they usually full/reserved for weekend only students?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 08:40
bump, I'm curious about this too
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 07:44
I'll try to answer your questions. I am in the weeknight program, so I haven't paid much attention to the weekend professors.

1.) Damodaran only teaches during the day and Full Time students have preference. If you can leave work twice a week during the day you might be able to get in, though. Other than that, I know Roubini, Engle, and Brandenberger all teach weeknight courses. I haven't seen any offerings of their classes on the weekends, but they teach electives. I am pretty sure once you finish your core courses, you take classes whenever you want.

2.) NYU will claim there is no difference, but due to the limited number of weekend spots, I would guess it may be slightly tougher. Not sure, though.

3.) I believe so. You only stick with your core group for the 4 core classes and then you can take classes whenever you want. Weekend students may have preference to the weekend classes, though.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 22:16
Here are my 2 cents:

There are a few good professors that only teach during the day (Damodaran and Silber). Damodaran teaches Corp Fin and Valuation. PTimers do take his courses and you can pretty much take it online via his website. Its really good now. Just google Damodaran and his page will come up. His website is a little difficult to navigate, though.

All the others professors teach during the day and at night. I think the weekends guys are at a disadvantage (I used to be one) as far as classes and professors. That said, a ton of people started on the weekends and then took weeknight classes later. Even the people from places like Philly and Albany. I was coming in from RI and took a few night classes before I move to NYC. Also, I do think it might be a little more difficult to get into the weekend program b/c of the limited spots. The weekend program also has the strongest camaraderie because everyone is stuck there.

Engle, Altman( The bankruptcy god), Roubini and several others teach at night and during the day. That said, a lot of "big name" professors are not the favorite teachers at Stern. Damodaran is loved because he can teach. Other professors such as Roy Smith and Glen Okun are also school favorites. My favorite professors were Max Holmes and Allan Brown (Both of which were Adjunct Professors and Distressed Hedge Fund Managers). I took Damodaran's Valuation class this past spring. It was a very good class.

Don't worry about switching between weekend and weeknights....it is easy.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Fordham, NYU, Emory, U of Rochester UCLA, USC, UCI

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 08:20
Can someone let me know when the NYU PT program starts releasing admission results if you applied during the Feb round of this year? Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 19:29
It doesn't matter when you applied, the admissions office will not start looking at applications until the deadline has passed, so May 15th for Fall 2010 start. Last year, I found out I got in on June 2nd, the application deadline was May 15th last year also.

You can apply to both programs by ranking them. If you don't get into one you may get into the other. I agree, weeekends are more competitive because of the smaller number of slots, roughly 60 versus 300 for weeknights. If you want to go strictly weekends there are a limited number of specializations you can do, maybe just Finance.
Re: Questions About NYU Stern Part Time Program   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2010, 19:29