Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions from Law Student

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Questions from Law Student [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 12:02
Hello-

Background: Ill be attending Columbia Law School in the fall. I received a 170 on LSAT, 3.8 GPA, and I have 3 combat deployments in 5 years with the Marine Corps.

Im thinking of applying to the 3-year JD/MBA program during my 1L at CLS. Im primarily interested in law, but would also like to be more familiar with business in order to 1) benefit my corporate law aspirations and 2) provide myself with more options as I progress in my career -- re: exit options, opportunities, start ups, etc.

To be honest, Im entirely new to the GMAT and MBA. I always thought abuot it, but never seriously until I was told that my rich ass uncle is willing to pay for 1/2 my debt-load! I start CLS in a month, so I feel kind of rushed to take the GMAT, get my app in, and make the final decision.

I was wondering if someone could give me the low-down. I dont have a lot of time right now to browse these forums. What's the most critical thing for me to know? Where's the best place to start? What's the consensus on all things GMAT?

I know that this is extraordinarily broad, but I realy dont have time to browse and explore right now (working 15 hr days :( ). Kind of looking for the cliff note version all things GMAT and MBA. I'll have about 2-3 weeks to study about 5 hours a day beginning around August 5th.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [0], given: 114

Re: Questions from Law Student [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:12
Well I definitely think you have the profile for the program... but now you need the GMAT. The problem is, the GMAT is all about time to study. If you don't have time, then you are in for some pain, and probably not a great score. You should probably start off by downloading the "GMATprep software" form http://www.mba.com and take a practice test. Set aside 4 hours to do this. From here, you will see what the test is all about, what types of questions, and what score you're at today. Hopefully you get a pretty good score to start with, because it's hard to make huge improvements in 2-3 weeks. But you can get a good score if you start off with a good score. Fortunately you've taken the LSAT (hopefully recently) so this should help you with the verbal section. But the quant will be a question mark. I'd recommend you start with this post: new-to-the-gmat-club-start-here-130870.html and go from there once you've taken your first practie test to create a baseline. Good luck to you! Let us know if we can help...

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Questions from Law Student [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:25
Thank you for the response! Sundays are my most free days right now, so I'll try that test today. But I havent done math in YEARS!!! Should I review some of the quant stuff before taking the diagnostic or just jump right in?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [0], given: 114

Re: Questions from Law Student [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:49
I would just jump right in with a practice test. The GMAT prep software comes with 2 tests, so take one now, then save the 2nd for after you've done studying/taking other practice tests from other places. This way you know what the test looks like right off the bat, and can get an idea where you biggest return on investment of study time is going to be. For instance, critical reasoning and reading comprehension might be easy for you since you see a lot of the same stuff on the LSAT. But sentence correction, quant problem solving, and data sufficiency might be the best place to put your time into since you only have a short amount of time... plus you can get a feeling for the timing, what the test looks like, and where you are starting. Typically we suggest 3 months to reach your full potential, so time is of the essence.

Couple points... make sure to answer ALL questions in both sections, even if you have to guess when time is running out (you get more penalized for not answering than getting a question wrong). Also, make sure to try the integrated reasoning section that comes before the real test even starts... This was just added to the test a month back...

Once you have a feeling for the test, you will have a better understanding for what the GMAT is, and where to go. Good luck

PS. If you have a deadline for when you need to take your test by, it might be smart to book your test date now so you can get the best time and day that you want.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Questions from Law Student   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2012, 13:49