Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions i and ii are based on the following: Although its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Questions i and ii are based on the following: Although its [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 23:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Questions i and ii are based on the following:

Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids a court to consider evidence seized in violation of the defendant’s constitutional rights, has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts. Even when the rights violation was a minor or purely technical one, turning on a detail of procedure rather than on the abrogation of some fundamental liberty, and even when it has been clear that the police officers were acting in good faith, the evidence obtained has been considered tainted under this rule and may not even by introduced. In consequence, defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again.

i. The author of the passage above assumes all of the following EXCEPT:

(A) The constitutional rights of criminal defendants should be protected.
(B) Most cases in which the exclusionary rule has been invoked have involved purely technical violations of constitutional principles.
(C) The number of cases whose outcome has been affected by the exclusionary rule is significant.
(D) Some of the defendants set free under the exclusionary rule have been guilty of serious criminal offenses.
(E) Merely technical violations of the rules concerning evidence should be treated differently from deliberate assaults upon human rights.

ii. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would most likely endorse which of the following proposals?

(A) Change of the exclusionary rule to admit evidence obtained by police officers acting in good faith
(B) A constitutional amendment curtailing some of the protections traditionally afforded those accused of a crime
(C) A statute limiting the application of the exclusionary rule to cases involving minor criminal offenses
(D) Change of the exclusionary rule to allow any evidence, no matter how obtained, to be introduced in court
(E) A constitutional amendment allowing police officers to obtain vital evidence by any means necessary when in pursuit of a known criminal

Sorry Guys, I do not have OA.

Last edited by MA on 10 Mar 2005, 22:45, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2005, 23:12
i.(D). This is a fact. Some of the defendatns set free under the exclusionary rule is guilty of serious criminal offenses. This is provided for in the argument, and 'some' is not extreme. So this choice is not an assumption. An assumption cannot be a fact.

ii.(B). The author does not says he wants the constitutional rights of the accused to be removed, but he wants evidence obtained to be admitted in court, if the means of obtaining the evidence invovles only just some technicality etc
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 07:37
anandnk wrote:
I choose (C) and (A)

I was thinking abt "C" also for the first one, then realized that nowhere in the passage it says that the numbers r significant, so it has to be part of an assumption ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 07:42
banerjeea_98 wrote:
anandnk wrote:
I choose (C) and (A)

I was thinking abt "C" also for the first one, then realized that nowhere in the passage it says that the numbers r significant, so it has to be part of an assumption ?

Even if he does not make this assumption (meaning one or two cases the evidence has been ruledout) the author can go ahead and make a statement still.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 17:48
I will go with (C) and (A)..

IN (i)... (D) is part of assumption.. because if (D) is true, then defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Criminal Rights [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 20:42
I would choose B and A.

For the first question, D and E are easily refuted. A can be refuted because of the word "laudable", and C can be refuted by the word "unduly".
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2005, 20:47
On a second thought, for first question B can also be refuted by the word "unduly", while E is more like a conclusion, not an assumption.

I guess I would have to change my answer to (E), (A) (and by doing so increase the range of answers for the first question :-D).
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Criminal Rights [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 23:30
MA wrote:
Questions i and ii are based on the following: Although its purpose is laudable, the exclusionary rule, which forbids a court to consider evidence seized in violation of the defendant’s constitutional rights, has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts. Even when the rights violation was a minor or purely technical one, turning on a detail of procedure rather than on the abrogation of some fundamental liberty, and even when it has been clear that the police officers were acting in good faith, the evidence obtained has been considered tainted under this rule and may not even by introduced. In consequence, defendants who were undoubtedly guilty have been set free, perhaps to steal, rape, or murder again.

i. The author of the passage above assumes all of the following EXCEPT:

(B) Most cases in which the exclusionary rule has been invoked have involved purely technical violations of constitutional principles.
(C) The number of cases whose outcome has been affected by the exclusionary rule is significant.
(D) Some of the defendants set free under the exclusionary rule have been guilty of serious criminal offenses.
(E) Merely technical violations of the rules concerning evidence should be treated differently from deliberate assaults upon human rights.

ii. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would most likely endorse which of the following proposals?

(A) Change of the exclusionary rule to admit evidence obtained by police officers acting in good faith
(B) A constitutional amendment curtailing some of the protections traditionally afforded those accused of a crime
(C) A statute limiting the application of the exclusionary rule to cases involving minor criminal offenses
(D) Change of the exclusionary rule to allow any evidence, no matter how obtained, to be introduced in court
(E) A constitutional amendment allowing police officers to obtain vital evidence by any means necessary when in pursuit of a known criminal

(1)
'Although its purpose is laudable' .....

we cannot get this, because the passage only said 'even......'

'....has unduly hampered law-enforcement efforts.....' might explain this

right, the culprit might be serious or not serious criminal offenses.

That's the autor's real intent.

(2)
almost pick D, but admit to A is better.

OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 13:20
I choose B and A because he doesnt assume these r technical violations of the constitution or of the human rights of supposed criminals he assumes these are violations which provide info that play critical roles in cases. besides "techincal violations" makes me feel like as if it is trivial in nature. if people are getting off on this clause it aint trivial at all
but i could be wrong....i think C is wrong because if the # of cases wasnt significant then why does anyone care?
  [#permalink] 10 Mar 2005, 13:20