Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

questions regarding study plan and study materials.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

questions regarding study plan and study materials. [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 15:42
Hi,
I am a international student who plans on retaking GMAT.
I've already taken GMAT twice; first attempt : M46 V34 650 second attempt : M47 V34 650
As you can, my score didn't improve at all.
The result of the second test was really frustratung because I studied for three months after I took the first test.
Then, I realized that how long I study dosen't improve my score; how I study matters.
So I decided to renew my study plan.

First of all, I will explain how I've studied.

First, I solved OG 12th & OG Verbal review and then took the first test.

Some people say that even though I solved OG, I should review it at least twice, but I thought that that method was inefficient because whenever I saw questions, automatically, answers came to my mind.

So I started to study with paper based GMAT questions and some materials called GWD.
Both are retired real GMAT questions. I thought that the best way to sduty is to keep solving problems, so I did so.
But the problem was that both materials did not have official explantions and that sometimes they have incorrect answers, so I had to depend on unofficial explanation on the Internet. As a result, I couldn't analyzed the problems thoroughtly. However, I believed that solving hundreds of questions would help me understand although I didn't analyze the quesions thoroghtly, so I kept doing so.
Looking back, that was the main reason that I failed to improve my score, which made me renew my study plan.

Thses are questions while I was renewing my study plan.

1. Is the math review in the OG good enough for preparing GMAT math?

2. Is there any books that contain only questions?
(I found "1037 practice questions for the new GMAt" in Amazon. How is it?)

3. Is it worth buying online tests such as Manhatten CAT?
( I tried free Manhatten CAT, but I felt like it was quite different real GMAT, especially Math and RC)
What about others such as Kaplan?

4. I will buy Manhatten SC 5th edition, should I buy the OG 13th to study Manhatten SC 5th edition?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: questions regarding study plan and study materials. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 09:24
First of all , when you are reviewing your mistakes please make sure that you actually understand something . Do not review questions , just for the heck of it . To answer your specific questions :

1. Is the math review in the OG good enough for preparing GMAT math?

If you are looking to score above 48+ on quant , then the OG alone is not good enough . You need to study more advanced material to get to the 48+ level . I'd recommend doing the GMATCLUB tests or buying Jeff Sackman's Extreme Challenge Sets . Some people even recommend buying the MGMAT Advanced Quant Book , but I don't think this book is necessary .

2. Is there any books that contain only questions?

Do you mean you want a quant book just like the OG ? ( in which there is very little theory ?)

3. Is it worth buying online tests such as Manhatten CAT?

If you buy one of the MGMAT guides you get access to all 6 Practice tests . I'd recommend that you do these CAT tests but don't worry too much about the score . Just make sure you use these tests to learn about your weaknesses . One more thing , make sure you ALWAYS REVIEW YOUR MISTAKES . This is the most important thing , if you don't do this , then it's likely that you'll keep making the same mistakes over and over again .
Re: questions regarding study plan and study materials.   [#permalink] 28 May 2012, 09:24