Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 13:46
What do you look for in an applicant?
What do you thin students are most surprised by when they start program X?

HELP, add more!

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 13:59
The Dean? Ask big questions:

What direction do you want to take the program?
or
What do you think the school could do better?

The best questions are based on current info. If you read an article by the Dean, ask him about the content. It shows you've done your homework!

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 14:06
Questions to ask per PhilosophyMan:

We've all gone through this phase in life, sometimes more often than others. But haven't you ever asked yourself, "Why am I on this earth"? What am I here for? Exactly just what is your purpose in life?

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 14:15
Boxers or briefs?

Apologies if said dean is female.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 14:42
Wait, is Randall interviewing you at Cornell raabenb?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 14:52
What's most important to you and why? Then pull out a stopwatch and say you have 90 seconds !!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 15:02
Nope! This is for my WashU Olin interview. Its a phone interview tomorrow.

solaris1 wrote:
Wait, is Randall interviewing you at Cornell raabenb?

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 351

Kudos [?]: 1693 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 15:02
Expert's post
What matters most to you, and why?
EDIT: TL has already post this question :)

But if seriously... I almost sure that I would ask: If you were me what directions would you focus on during study in order to get maximum benefits from the MBA program? or a slightly modified question depending on overall impression.

I don't think that question like "What do you look for in an applicant" will add value in your interview. I'm almost sure that Dean answers every day that question and will say automatically maybe even word-by-word from school site. The question does not force him/her to think a lot and you will look like many others.

In my question, Dean should take my side even for a few seconds. Actually I ask him or her to play for me. Moreover the question will force to think, maybe even to think for a while as each of us is a unique person with own set of skills and experiences. Additionally, in the question you passes through choice, in other words, you ask as you have already admitted. Do you see the difference between: "Would you like to buy a car, or not?" and "Would you like to buy red or black car?". You also have a chance to get a really good personal advice from successful manager who is better than any admission consultant . Finally, the first and last words are more important because their more memorable. So too is your last question.

too many thoughts about simple question? At least it gives me a bit confidence ;)

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
You could also ask "What do you think Olin does best (or better than other schools)?"

RF

Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 11:00
how do you handle the wait between sending out offers and hearing back? Are you disapointed when a student chooses another program over yours?
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 11:51
Ask him if his refrigerator is running. If he answers yes, then tell him he'd better go catch it. If he says no, then, well, I haven't figured out that part yet.

refurb wrote:
You could also ask "What do you think Olin does best (or better than other schools)?"

RF

Seriously though, refurb's question is really good. It's simple yet effective because you're asking the Dean, "Why Olin?" Each school tries to establish it's own "thing" that differentiates its brand from all of the other brands out there. If you know what direction the program is heading then it'll help a lot when you're trying to decide betwene Olin and the other schools you get into.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 14:56
I did ask refurbs question and OMG it got him talking for soooooooooo long! He totally loved that question. KUDOS REFURB!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 15:46
raabenb wrote:
I did ask refurbs question and OMG it got him talking for soooooooooo long! He totally loved that question. KUDOS REFURB!

I had a feeling he might like that question.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the top 15 b-schools in general tend to be quite similar.* They often offer very similar courses, have similar lists of recruiters, similar student body, etc. However, they try like hell to differentiate themselves from each other. I think everyone from the Dean on down really focuses on what makes their school different. It would be the same as asking an your local IT guy about networks, it's all he does all day so he'll have a lot to say.

*Funny story: A few weeks after visiting Tuck I was having dinner with a friend who graduated from Yale last year. I told him that I thought the class visit was really interesting, it was an operations class about the Toyota model. He said: "Oh yeah, they talked about stuff like Hansei, Kaizen and Jidoka (key Japanese ideas that the model follows), right?".

I was like :shock: , it was practically the same dam class.

RF

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview: [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 02:19
I'd ask questions that you're actually interested in and care about. Maybe your post-MBA goal is a certain industry, so you could inquire about things the school offers in that area aside from stuff you already researched (e.g. clubs). Or maybe you need financial aid, so ask about assistance (e.g. school scholarships, corporate scholarships). That way, you will appear more credible, curious, and sincere.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Re: Questions to ask a Dean of Admissions in an interview:   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2008, 02:19