Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident.. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 06:08
Hi Guys,
Thought i should pen down at least a quick debrief before I get all too busy n forget abt this altogether.

Background:

Born and brought up in Delhi, I am presently working in singapore for a fortune 100 as a senior consultant, have been in singapore for the past 3 yrs. Hold a B.tech, PMP certified and a couple more certification, abt 7 yrs of exp, worked in US - short term, Hongkong - short term , Singapore - long term.
Into IT consulting,pre sales, CRM , BPM, ITIL and process consulting , Best practices and tool implementations.

It took me an year before i could actually get my mind around things and finally decided to take the test on 14th mar,13 , and got 690.

Lesson Learned : Performance under pressure is a different ball game together. Its the timing in GMAT that you have to master. recognize patterns, question styles, know your shortcuts.
You need to realize when you are not going to get the right answer and you say, its too tough, and then you make a calculated guess and move on.

acknowledgements

I must acknowledge a few things , there is a quote that I heard from someone ," the secrets of life are hidden behind the work cliche", and this is so so so true. Continued efforts - Little by little over a period of time WILL lead you to success.
Another thing you hv 2 remember is valleys and mountains. What i mean is that there will be days when you feel like giving up , other days when you feel upbeat and motivated... This is what you need to manage , and never give up!

Study plan

I think i don't need to delve deep into this - Manhattan is the queen for SC, also for advanced quant. One imp point that i need to share for quant, the GMATCLUB's 700-800 Level questions are an excellent source, will get you up to Q50.
Manhattan Mock's are an excellent investment.

Before I end, I like to mention a trick , in order to reduce the pressure, take the GMAT in this way:
Its not so abnormal to take the test even 5 times , as along as you end up with a 730. So fist of all, tell ur self that you will never give up , no matter what. Give urself 5 chances and say to yourself that even if you miss it the first couple of times, its not the end of the world. Go in to the exam with this mindset and wonderful things will happen. Also, I would suggest not to sit for the GMAT unless you score 650+ consistently in mocks.

I know 690 is an avg score (specially for a Indian :wink: ) , and this is why i am under confident, but getting this score on the second try, and my first real try, feels good. I hope my debrief was helpful in some way to someone.
Finally, GMATCLUB , thank you so much for this great site, helped me alot :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D i used to log in to gmatclub on my iphone all the time, and used to practice questions .
Thanks to all those the experts and members who helped me out so much.
and now ladies and gentlemen , its time to get on wid the applications .. good night\over and out 8-)

GMATPrep 1: 670
GMATPrep 2 : 710

Last edited by nishant1006 on 13 Feb 2014, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 562

Re: Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident.. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 07:27
Congrats Nishant! Really happy for you! And you got an awesome profile. You aren't a typical software engineer. so I believe a 690 would suffice!

Good luck with your applications!

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 66

Re: Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident.. [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:26
Expert's post
nishant1006 wrote:

Lesson Learned : Performance under pressure is a different ball game together. Its the timing in GMAT that you have to master. recognize patterns, question styles, know your shortcuts.
You need to realize when you are not going to get the right answer and you say, its too tough, and then you make a calculated guess and move on.

Hi nishant1006, thanks so much for your debrief. Very interesting perspective and I agree with pretty much everything you said. I want to highlight what you wrote for lesson learned, however, as I believe it's worth its weight in gold. Both points are very valid, and the GMAT is the type of test where you have to recognize what's being asked of you, or else you will fall in a trap.

Shortcuts, mental agility, adaptability, being able to solve the questions 3 different ways... these are some of the things that will get your score to that high level everyone wants. However, you will occasionally run into questions that you have no idea how to solve. These questions can make you waste your time and lose your confidence, so it's important to know how to deal with them. Sometimes, you just have to make an educated guess and move on with your test/life.

Thanks again for the debrief and best of luck in the future!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident.. [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sachin,

Apologies for such a delayed reply, was so caught up at work and with the apps,
Thanks so much for your kind words, :) yeah 690 is an avg score though n i realize that , ie why i plan to put in extra effort into apps.
Best of luck buddy n update all of us once you conquer the GMAT
CHEERS
Sachin9 wrote:
Congrats Nishant! Really happy for you! And you got an awesome profile. You aren't a typical software engineer. so I believe a 690 would suffice!

Good luck with your applications!

GMATPrep 1: 670
GMATPrep 2 : 710

Re: Quick debrief: 690 (Q48 V37), Relaxed but under-confident..   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2013, 20:05