Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quick one on PS/DS approach...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Ross '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Quick one on PS/DS approach... [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 21:22
I have been preparing so far with MGMAT study guides and the official guide. While they're great resources, there isn't much guidance on how to actually approach the problems from a logistics standpoint.

My question: When starting a PS (or DS to a lesser extent) problem, do you recommend jotting down the given information, including word translations, as you read, or reading through the stem once completely and then going back to collect the info?

I find reading it through once, then going fishing for the info tends to waste a little more time with long question stems since you're essentially reading it twice or more; however, it seems to be a more accurate approach as it gives you "big picture" sense of what the question's asking before you begin breaking down the given info, assigning variables, etc...

Is there a generally accepted approach or is this one of those "whatever works for you" topics?

Looking forward to your input; thanks in advance :)

B
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [1] , given: 164

Re: Quick one on PS/DS approach... [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
BMeloche wrote:
I have been preparing so far with MGMAT study guides and the official guide. While they're great resources, there isn't much guidance on how to actually approach the problems from a logistics standpoint.

My question: When starting a PS (or DS to a lesser extent) problem, do you recommend jotting down the given information, including word translations, as you read, or reading through the stem once completely and then going back to collect the info?

I find reading it through once, then going fishing for the info tends to waste a little more time with long question stems since you're essentially reading it twice or more; however, it seems to be a more accurate approach as it gives you "big picture" sense of what the question's asking before you begin breaking down the given info, assigning variables, etc...

Is there a generally accepted approach or is this one of those "whatever works for you" topics?

Looking forward to your input; thanks in advance :)

B

Every GMAT discussion ends with "whatever works for you". It is a test of aptitude and reasoning so different people use different approaches quite successfully. You will figure out what works for you after some practice. For a lot of people, brute force and logic work splendidly well for almost every GMAT question. Many others swear by a step by step algebraic process.

I just replied on a link (a-number-when-divided-successively-by-4-and-5-leaves-138035.html). It has 2 very different approaches but both work effectively. What you choose to use is your call.

On long question stems, I work one statement at a time. First reading and then re-reading is a waste of time in my opinion. Anyway, if the stem is too long, it's hard to remember everything the first time round so you will go one by one in the second round. Why not do it without wasting any time?
Here are some links which show you how.
car-b-starts-at-point-x-and-moves-clockwise-around-128215.html?hilit=long%20question%20stem
each-of-the-30-boxes-in-a-certain-shipment-weighs-either-85074.html?hilit=long%20question%20stem

As for 2 line questions, jot down info only if you really need to. Try to un-learn the habit of writing everything down on paper if you can. The numbers are right there in front of your eyes. Work on them with your mind. try to keep your hands out of the picture. Practice well ahead of your exam. In your exam, if you must, no harm in putting in extra 10 secs - don't get the question wrong just to save some secs per question.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Ross '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Quick one on PS/DS approach... [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:42
Hi and thanks, Karishma.

I'll definitely keep your advice in mind as I develop my approach.

Best,

B
Re: Quick one on PS/DS approach...   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 22:42