Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Re: Quit Job After Application [#permalink]
gmat4us wrote:
What if i quit my job in late february. Should I inform the schools to which I have applied of my change in employment?

Has anyone read any official statement on this issue?

thanks

In my case, I quit after an admit.
But the circumstances are different. I will be out of job for only 4 months, which in this case is easy to explain.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
jaynayak wrote:
gmat4us wrote:
What if i quit my job in late february. Should I inform the schools to which I have applied of my change in employment?

thanks

But the circumstances are different. I will be out of job for only 4 months, which in this case is easy to explain.

I envy you.
I do.
Director
Director
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
gmat4us wrote:

thanks

I envy you.
I do.

And we all envy you.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How much time is "too much"? If accepted and starting in September, when can you quit without having to shamefully explain things later?

For the sake of discussion, assume money and lost earnings are not an issue.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
brown wrote:
How much time is "too much"? If accepted and starting in September, when can you quit without having to shamefully explain things later?

For the sake of discussion, assume money and lost earnings are not an issue.

LOL. Trust Fund Baby Alert!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
HA! I wish. I'm not that far out of college, I remember how to live on ramen and crash on friends' couches. Not exactly a very Bschool-esque image though....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm also interested in hearing the answer.

I would quit after receiving an acceptance but for the strong possibility of a gap of several months being held against me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm no expert here.... but I'd venture up to four months is no big deal, even five if were talking about a move to a new city. It's easy to explain: "I left work and took some time to travel, then returned and planned my move to X". You can also play with the dates a bit ... for instance, if school starts in Sept, but you are talking some prep course in August, just list from August. No one is going to call you on it.

I personally plan on taking 3 - June, July and August. Really, its more like 4 months because I have a 3 week vacation planned in May. The plan is to take my vacation, come back, quit, take it easy for 2 weeks, and go back on vacation. :)

Largely I'd argue - it depends how your resume looks too. I mean, if you've had one job, a four month gap before school is nothing. If you've had six jobs in four years - then its probably less of a good idea (no staying power).

The only other thing I'm considering is going to my firm and asking them if they'd be interested in part-timing me through June. I need to find out some important details first, but I'd be happy working 3 days a week through June.

Anyone want to just give me $30,000 so I can quit now?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ok, well lets say that you change jobs after you apply - do you notify the school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
With the way things are going here, there is a high possibility that I might quit after my first admit.

I can't imagine why the school would rescind an offer just because you quit your job a few months early. Why would they even ask you? Schools don't check up on you throughout the year before school starts... they just make sure you pay up on time.

I would think that the majority of people will quit at least by july. Ideally I would quit in the April/May timeframe, but I really can't stand my new team lead....

I will be quite happy to take a few months off, finding a mindless part time job... always wanted to try valeting 8-) or maybe going to cooking school.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
With the way things are going here, there is a high possibility that I might quit after my first admit.

I can't imagine why the school would rescind an offer just because you quit your job a few months early. Why would they even ask you? Schools don't check up on you throughout the year before school starts... they just make sure you pay up on time.

I would think that the majority of people will quit at least by july. Ideally I would quit in the April/May timeframe, but I really can't stand my new team lead....

I will be quite happy to take a few months off, finding a mindless part time job... always wanted to try valeting 8-) or maybe going to cooking school.

All the best buddy.....

Hope you get an admit soon......torture your new team lead
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I will be quite happy to take a few months off, finding a mindless part time job... always wanted to try valeting Cool or maybe going to cooking school.

Awesome. I'm thinking of moving back in with the rents and waiting tables or painting houses for a couple months. Just something that doesn't require me to use my brain and sit on my a$$ all day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Quote:
I will be quite happy to take a few months off, finding a mindless part time job... always wanted to try valeting Cool or maybe going to cooking school.

Awesome. I'm thinking of moving back in with the rents and waiting tables or painting houses for a couple months. Just something that doesn't require me to use my brain and sit on my a$$ all day.

Have you ever waited tables before? I can't imagine a professional job that is worse than being a server at a restaurant.

Blech....I get flashbacks just thinking about it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a lot of expenses this year, or I'd probably just quit in the next month. As it plays out, I really can't, so I plan on making early June my last month.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well geez, you're not getting any sympathy from me for you and your $1400 suites :x

But for those of us with a "modest" lifestyle...

Never tried myself, but waiting tables is definitely not high on my list. Along the same lines tho, bartending is just as interesting and more fun.

My other "dream" jobs for before bschool:
- coffee boy or some kinda assistant for trading floor?
- free lance IT consultant?
- blind drug trail/lab research subject?
- guy who oils up swimsuit models before they get photographed :idea:

Originally posted by fluffydot on 11 Jan 2007, 12:40.
Last edited by fluffydot on 11 Jan 2007, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Well geez, you're not getting any sympathy from me for you and your $1400 suites :x

But for those of us with a "modest" lifestyle...

Never tried myself, but waiting tables is definitely not high on my list. Along the same lines tho, bartending is just as interesting and more fun.

My other "dream" jobs for before bschool:
- coffee boy or some kinda assistant for trading floor?
- free lance IT consultant?
- blind drug trail/lab research subject?
- guy how oils up swimsuit models before they get photographed :idea:

You might not like the trading floor thing. It's a real boiler room environment.

Freelance IT can make you plenty of $$, but its hard to land clients on your own.

I think your last option is the best.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
IF I get admitted, I'll quit in May / June, hop on my bike (an old KLR) and when admit weekend hits I'll just drop the bike wherever it is and catch a plane. If I leave home early enough and maintain a reasonable rhythm I should be able to reach Central America by then.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2