Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quiting the 9-5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 15:52
Lich wrote:
Dude, I would not quit while I am still waiting to hear back from other/better schools. I'm pretty sure if you get accepted later from some of your better schools they would do a routine background check, like calling your supervisor or recommenders. By leaving now, your boss could be sufficiently pissed off at the short notice that he might bad mouth you later during the background check. Better play it safe.

And then you sue. And win.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 16:09
Lich wrote:
Dude, I would not quit while I am still waiting to hear back from other/better schools. I'm pretty sure if you get accepted later from some of your better schools they would do a routine background check, like calling your supervisor or recommenders. By leaving now, your boss could be sufficiently pissed off at the short notice that he might bad mouth you later during the background check. Better play it safe.

My reccomender from the corporate job actually retired two months ago. He is a friend and I regularly play golf with him, so I am not worried about that all too much. I think I am going to wait until I hera from all schools and make the move end of March, take Ryhme's suggestion and give them a shout. Thanks for al input.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
I think there's a big difference between taking a month or two off to travel versus taking six months off to work in a bar. If I were hiring someone and that was their story I would think, "Why would this person leave their corporate job to stay up late at a mindless job working with a bunch of drunks? Is he going to quit on me too?"

Now I'm not denigrating people who work at bars, if I'm going to be all politically correct I should acknowledge that these jobs are probably stressful etc (I've been a bouncer and a bartender)... but my knee jerk reaction upon looking at a resume such as the one you may produce if you take the bartending job is, "This looks like a red flag." In general people think of bar's and nightclubs as having a certain lifestyle associated with them, and their might be a presumption that somebody who likes that lifestyle would be an unreliable employee.

I understand that doing the management part of the bar gig would actually be good experience and quite possibly much better experience than working at your day-job, but I think it may just complicate your resume, in general it's probably not good to have stuff on your resume that requires supplemental explanation, and a two month vacation before business school is probably quite common, a six-month period before b-school where the person took on a possibly-seemingly-random job would not be typical, and might get your resume passed over.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 17:31
squali83 wrote:
Lich wrote:

My reccomender from the corporate job actually retired two months ago. He is a friend and I regularly play golf with him, so I am not worried about that all too much. I think I am going to wait until I hera from all schools and make the move end of March, take Ryhme's suggestion and give them a shout. Thanks for al input.

Yea I didn't realize you didn't have an admit yet. If you don't... I really urge you to wait until you do.

I know its an ugly thought but what if you don't get in this year?

Then what?

Your next essay gonna be about how you and the bartender lady with the words juicy on her butt teamworked that Vodka Tonic?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 17:39
rhyme wrote:
squali83 wrote:
Lich wrote:

Yea I didn't realize you didn't have an admit yet. If you don't... I really urge you to wait until you do.

I know its an ugly thought but what if you don't get in this year?

Then what?

Your next essay gonna be about how you and the bartender lady with the words juicy on her butt teamworked that Vodka Tonic?

I have admits at schools I would attend, however, I am still waiting for 4 other decisions. Who knows I may end up doing it and omitting it from my resume. My reccomender said he would agree to be my POC for that company when I need one in the future job serach post MBA. However, it would be a fun 6 months allowing me to unwind. I cannot stand my job anymore so that is why I am leaning twoards it. But I will not make the move until all admit decisions have been made.
  [#permalink] 22 Feb 2007, 17:39