Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Quitting Your Job [#permalink]
I'm planning on quitting end of May/early June. I can't travel until mid-June anyway (weddings and stuff). Besides, the money is good. I'll travel mid-June to mid-July. Pack up last few weeks of July, and move in August.

At least, that's the plan as it stands right now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
I wonder if the month you leave can affect your recruiting chances at school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Mine is very dependent on when I sell my house. I have been very upfront with my bosses about that. If we put our house on the market in the beginning of May and it sells in a week and we close the end of May then I am going to be gone by then. I dont think I will last much past Mid July, I have a ton of vacation saved up and want a chance to relax. Plus moving will be hectic and expensive.

So my date ranges from May to end of July. If we sell fast the wife and I are planning a road trip, take a month or so and travel around the country while we have the time and no responsibilities.

I dont think taking a month or two off is going to hurt recruiting, especially if you plan on doing something different for a job post MBA.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I will take July to travel - We have already decided 15 days in Egypt, perhaps more 10 in Ireland and other European place - and then I intend to settle in US the beggining of august.

I decided to take some language courses, English and Spanish, this semester, and in August the pre courses that schools usually offer.

So, I'll work until the end of June!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys for the input. :-D

I would like to travel as well in July maybe to Europe. I have not been there much so I would like to see the place. Backpacking anyone? :)

gmatclb - I agree with river that taking a few months off probably won't hurt your post-MBA recruiting (even if you plan to go into the same industry but in this case make sure you don't burn any bridges when you quit). I also don't think that quitting a month before the stated date in your application will make schools take back their offers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I'll probably tell my boss my plans in the next couple of weeks (depends on where I get in and where I might end up). But leaving around June/July is usually safe, since you need some time to unwind and move and settle into the new place.

If my boss lets me, I might try to take all my vacations (also got a bit saved up) in April for my trip, come back in May and work till June before I quit. We'll see.

as for leaving early hurting your recruiting chances, well, depends on how many years of experience you have already. I will have nearly 7 years by the time I quit, so I'm not really worried about a few month's difference. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I plan on letting the President of my company know that I'm leaving after I get back from my Honeymoon. Unfortunately, he's brash and gets upset easily and may just fire me on the spot instead of being rational and allowing me to hire a replacement and train them for six months. We'll see how it all turns out. If things go according to plan, and he reacts like a normal human being, I'll probably stick around until late June then start relaxing and mentally preparing for that daunting first semester.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
emoryhopeful wrote:
I plan on letting the President of my company know that I'm leaving after I get back from my Honeymoon. Unfortunately, he's brash and gets upset easily and may just fire me on the spot instead of being rational and allowing me to hire a replacement and train them for six months. We'll see how it all turns out. If things go according to plan, and he reacts like a normal human being, I'll probably stick around until late June then start relaxing and mentally preparing for that daunting first semester.

So why not just give him 4 weeks notice rather than 6 months notice?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

Because he's been asking my current supervisor if he knows what my plans are after the wedding. He's bouncing around the idea of having me open my own office in Tampa, because he thinks I want to move there. So, instead of waiting for him to make that commitment, then tell him, not only no I don't want to open the office, but I also no longer want to work here, I figured I'd just let him know early. What do you think...bad idea? He's either going to be extremely appreciative, or go completely bonkers. :lol: I actually think the conversation could be rather enjoyable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
emoryhopeful wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Because he's been asking my current supervisor if he knows what my plans are after the wedding. He's bouncing around the idea of having me open my own office in Tampa, because he thinks I want to move there. So, instead of waiting for him to make that commitment, then tell him, not only no I don't want to open the office, but I also no longer want to work here, I figured I'd just let him know early. What do you think...bad idea? He's either going to be extremely appreciative, or go completely bonkers. :lol: I actually think the conversation could be rather enjoyable.

Why not open the office in Tampa, hire a college kid to do whatever it is you do, and quit in 2 or 3 years? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I'm planning on quitting in late May/early June and try to travel. But, as another forum mentioned, the dollar's decline is making my plans more and more expensive. For those who want to travel, have you booked your trip or figured out where you want to go? I'm planning on traveling with my fiancee to Australia and South East Asia.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
casbroker wrote:
I'm planning on quitting in late May/early June and try to travel. But, as another forum mentioned, the dollar's decline is making my plans more and more expensive. For those who want to travel, have you booked your trip or figured out where you want to go? I'm planning on traveling with my fiancee to Australia and South East Asia.

Going to East Africa and maybe Southeast Asia. The dollar goes further there than somewhere like Europe. Haven't booked my tickets...probably won't until April or so.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
from an alum b-school friend of mine.

Quote:
Quit in April. You won't regret it. And travel to China/East Asia for longer than 2 months. You won't regret that either.

I spent 3 months traveling and quit in April/May. Arguably should have quit even sooner than that. I don't know of *anyone* in my class that didn't wish they took more time off. The incremental benefit of staying at work a little longer when you know you're going to business school isn't worth it.

Enjoy the time off! :)

I think I'll do that...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
from an alum b-school friend of mine.

Quote:
Quit in April. You won't regret it. And travel to China/East Asia for longer than 2 months. You won't regret that either.

I spent 3 months traveling and quit in April/May. Arguably should have quit even sooner than that. I don't know of *anyone* in my class that didn't wish they took more time off. The incremental benefit of staying at work a little longer when you know you're going to business school isn't worth it.

Enjoy the time off! :)

I think I'll do that...

Yes that does sound very good. Maybe I should abandon my internship search. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
For all the people who are starting at schools this year or are already at schools, how is everyone planning their finances? Lets say even if someone takes 100% loan, are people here saving some amount for the B-School life? something like a discretionary fund ? or is it ok to be absolutely broke and take 100% loan and hope that it takes care of one's needs ?

or is the idea of 100% loan bad and should not be considered?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
For all the people who are starting at schools this year or are already at schools, how is everyone planning their finances? Lets say even if someone takes 100% loan, are people here saving some amount for the B-School life? something like a discretionary fund ? or is it ok to be absolutely broke and take 100% loan and hope that it takes care of one's needs ?

or is the idea of 100% loan bad and should not be considered?

Hi, Maybe the discussion can be continued here https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t57289 for all the ideas to be compiled in one thread
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I don't think I can afford to travel for that long. Sounds pretty cool though.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3