Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

quot;Of all the major developments in information technology

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

quot;Of all the major developments in information technology [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 17:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

91% (01:17) correct 9% (00:43) wrong based on 23 sessions
"Of all the major developments in information technology that have influenced literary production, maybe none is more influential as the printing press, which brought the entire classical canon to people throughout Europe within 60 years of its invention.

A maybe none is more influential as
B it may be that none is more influential as
C perhaps it is none that is more influential than
D maybe it is none that was more influential than
E perhaps none was more influential than "

Here the OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Where as in the below similar question:

" Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept
through history, maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than"

Here OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

What is the difference between these two question sturctures? Why is it 'D' in the above case? Pls Explain.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1616 [2] , given: 249

Re: When to use " May be" and When " Perhaps" [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Let me quote the actual OG question and the OE thereof to clear any misgiving

Quote:
4. Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated than
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Idiom; Verb form
This sentence depends on the comparative structure x is more than y. Here, an idiomatically incorrect construction x (none) is more as y (the wave) is used. In addition, the second part of the sentence uses the past tense verb brought, indicating that the event is over. Th e verb used in the comparative construction must also be past tense, x (none) was more concentrated than y (the wave). Maybe and perhaps are interchangeable; perhaps is slightly more formal.

A Incorrect idiom is used for comparison; is concentrated is the wrong tense.

B Incorrect idiom is used for comparison; it may be that is wordy.

C It is none that is more … is wordy; also, in this context, it must refer to something (unlike in phrases such as “it is clear that …”), yet it does not plausibly refer to anything.

D As in C, it is none that was more … is wordy; it must refer to something, yet it does not
plausibly refer to anything.

E Correct. Th e correct comparative construction is used in this sentence; the verb is past tense.

The correct answer is E.

In other words, the comparative construction that is more x than that is under question here along with the correct use of the tense.In D, you may note, it does not have a referent and is wordy too.

Let us now come to the simulated example posted in the forum

"Of all the major developments in information technology that have influenced literary production, maybe none is more influential as the printing press, which brought the entire classical canon to people throughout Europe within 60 years of its invention.

E perhaps none was more influential than

The point is that all the choices from A to E compare development with the printing press. E should be the answer here also. D is rejected for the same reason as for wordiness as well as for pronoun reference problem.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 622 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When to use " May be" and When " Perhaps" [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 19:12
Expert's post
hii there.
First, let me tell you that there is a subtle difference between "perhaps" and "may be".
You can say "perhaps"(possiblly) holds 70% chances of happening whereas "may be" holds 30-40% chances of happening.

Now looking back to the questions:
Of all the major developments in information technology that have influenced literary production, maybe none is more influential as the printing press, which brought the entire classical canon to people throughout Europe within 60 years of its invention.

E perhaps none was more influential than "

The use of "perhaps" and "may be" entirely depends on the context.
I assume that you may have reduced the options to limit yourself to D and E.
What is wrong in E? "development is being compared to printing press".

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept
through history, maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Here the construction of E is much much better than D. "May be it is none" sounds very awkward.

Note that correct comparison has to be made always. In the first question, if the correct comparsion had been made then E would have been the answer.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 659

Kudos [?]: 2814 [0], given: 882

Re: When to use " May be" and When " Perhaps" [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 21:47
Expert's post
Well I second Marcab in this.
However I do think the first question is not good.
Can you please mention the source?
I think it tried to copy the OG question (the second one) and did a poor job out of it.

As to your main question, you will NEVER have to choose between Perhaps and Maybe as the deal breaker in your options in the GMAT. There will be other, more concrete errors.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: When to use " May be" and When " Perhaps" [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 22:52
souvik101990 wrote:
Well I second Marcab in this.
However I do think the first question is not good.
Can you please mention the source?
I think it tried to copy the OG question (the second one) and did a poor job out of it.

As to your main question, you will NEVER have to choose between Perhaps and Maybe as the deal breaker in your options in the GMAT. There will be other, more concrete errors.

I don't know score but I have taken the questions from the gmat club verbal forum. What could be more probable errors apart from that?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 659

Kudos [?]: 2814 [0], given: 882

Re: When to use " May be" and When " Perhaps" [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 22:56
Expert's post
Well as marcab correctly pointed out this is a comparison question and not a maybe/perhaps question.
So you dont even need to look at the maybe/perhaps scenario.
I do think the first question is pretty convoluted though!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: quot;Of all the major developments in information technology [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:55
Answer is E. More...Than is the correct Idiom
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: quot;Of all the major developments in information technology [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:20
D maybe it is none that was more influential than: more wordy
E perhaps none was more influential than : no redundancy

I researched articles about perhaps/maybe and came to conclusion that they are perfectly interchangeable.
Re: quot;Of all the major developments in information technology   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2013, 19:20