Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

quot;The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [3] , given: 69

CAT Tests
quot;The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting, [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:47) correct 33% (01:31) wrong based on 92 sessions
"The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting, was carbon dated to ascertain its age, previously estimated at 520 years. Manuscripts from that time reveal that one of two possible artists must be responsible for the painting's creation. One of the artists died one week after the painting had been commissioned while the other died 13 years later. Because in those days oil paintings usually took a long time to complete, it was probably the artist who died later who painted the Copper Butterfly.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that the Copper Butterfly was painted by the artist who died later?

A - The artist who died later was murdered whereas the artist who died earlier passed away after contracting a disease that was plaguing the area.
B - The artist who died earlier completed a different oil painting one week before the Copper Butterfly was commissioned.
C - The oil paint used 520 years ago was produced by the artists themselves for each painting, in a chemical reaction that took eleven days to prepare.
D - The artist who painted the Copper Butterfly did not paint another picture for the person who commissioned it.
E - The artist who died earlier was known for leaving his paintings unsigned."
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 21:54
Thanks umeshpatil. Good question, cause I'm not native English speaker, it took me a while to guess the meaning of "commissioned" :)

IMO, C is correct.

Premise: One artist died one week after the painting had been commissioned.
Premise: the other died 13 years later
Conclusion: the artist who died later painted the Copper Butterfly.
Assumption: It took more than 1 week to complete the painting.

A - The artist who died later was murdered whereas the artist who died earlier passed away after contracting a disease that was plaguing the area.
Wrong. Out of scope.

B - The artist who died earlier completed a different oil painting one week before the Copper Butterfly was commissioned.
Wrong. Out of scope.

C - The oil paint used 520 years ago was produced by the artists themselves for each painting, in a chemical reaction that took eleven days to prepare.
Correct. C indicates that the artist who died earlier did not paint the Copper Butterfly

D - The artist who painted the Copper Butterfly did not paint another picture for the person who commissioned it.
Wrong. Out of scope.

E - The artist who died earlier was known for leaving his paintings unsigned."
Wrong. Shell game. He is not the only one who left paintings unsigned.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 3

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 01:38
This post received
KUDOS
commissioned means the day it was finalized that the painting will be drawn.

Now the facts are that of the two artist who could have made the paintings:
One died one week after the painting had been commissioned.
The other died 13 years later.
Conclusion: The artist who died later painted the painting.

So we need to prove that it took more than one week to paint the painting in those days which will imply that the Artist who died in a week could’t have painted the painting.

Now Choice C says exactly what we need to prove as according to choice C it will take eleven days (more than a week) just to prepare the oil paints.

The Kudo please :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 03:26
You're lost if you are not certain what "to commission" means. Knowing that, you understand the answer.
Dictionary.com:
17. ( tr ) to place an order for (something): "to commission a portrait"
Takeaway earned :).

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 03:55
HumptyDumpty wrote:
You're lost if you are not certain what "to commission" means. Knowing that, you understand the answer.
Dictionary.com:
17. ( tr ) to place an order for (something): "to commission a portrait"
Takeaway earned :).

Hi HumptyDumpty,
No offense but I think we will never get a question in CR where the meaning of one word will decide if one is able to answer the question correctly.
In this case also if we assume that we don’t know the meaning of the word commissioned then I will probably guess it to be one of the following:
The day painting was approved to be painted or the day it was put on display or the day the painter completed painting it.
Even if I take any of above as meaning of the word commissioned, I will have choices A, B, D and E eliminated.
Also when reading the choice C one can make out what the word commissioned probably means and hence will be able to mark C as logical answer.

The Kudo please :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 67

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 04:19
Well, I wrote what worked for me. I incorrectly figured out that "to commission" would mean sh like "to put on market". Obviously, C made no sense. When I learned the right meaning, the numbers conveyed me the correct answer immediately. :)

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Re: The Copper Butterfly, an unsigned classical painting   [#permalink] 01 May 2013, 04:19