Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship Events @ UChicago: February 2014
The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation invites you to mark your calendar with the many entrepreneurship and private equity programs and events taking place at the University of Chicago and beyond in February 2014.

Follow the links for more information, and check the Polsky Center blog, calendar, and our new office hours board frequently for new additions.

Social NVC Office Hours JANUARY 20 - FEBRUARY 7Bob Rosenberg: TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS | 2 – 4 p.m.David Friedman: MONDAYS | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.Christina Hachikian: TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS | 9 – 11 a.m.

Email Erica Phillips with a date and time to schedule office hours.

Entrepreneurship Essentials - Customer Research and Feedback with Mark Tebbe FEBRUARY 3 • MONDAY | 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. Harper Center C-02Learn More | Add to Calendar

Legal Resources for Entrepreneurs with UChicago Law’s Corporate Lab Class (Lunch Session) FEBRUARY 5 • WEDNESDAY | 12 – 1:15 p.m. Harper Center C-08Learn More | Add to Calendar

Legal Resources for Entrepreneurs with UChicago Law’s Corporate Lab Class (Evening Session) FEBRUARY 5 • WEDNESDAY | 5 – 6 p.m. Gleacher Center 303Learn More | Add to Calendar

Deadline: NVC/SNVC/CNVC Feasibility Summary FEBRUARY 10 • MONDAY | 10 a.m.Download Entry Kit | Add to Calendar

Renewable Energy Investing with Adam Pool, AB ‘81 FEBRUARY 13 • THURSDAY | 12 – 1:30 p.m. Ida Noyes Hall (East Lounge)Learn More | Add to Calendar

ThinkB1G Start-Up Showcase FEBRUARY 13 • THURSDAY | 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Ida Noyes HallLearn More | Add to Calendar

The Innovation Fund and IF Associates Program Kickoff FEBRUARY 13 • THURSDAY | 5 – 6:30 p.m. Chicago Innovation Exchange Skydeck (53rd Street)Learn More | Add to Calendar

The LGBT Entrepreneurial Journey with Waverly Deutsch FEBRUARY 13 • THURSDAY | 12 – 1:30 p.m. Groupon (600 W. Chicago Ave. #620)Learn More | Add to Calendar

13th Annual Beecken Petty O’Keefe & Company Private Equity Conference FEBRUARY 21 • FRIDAY | 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. Westin Chicago River NorthLearn More | Add to Calendar

Deadline: Chicago Booth Search FEBRUARY 22 • SATURDAY | 12 p.m.Learn More | Add to Calendar

MBA Impact Investing Network and Training (MIINT) Chicago Booth Finals Event FEBRUARY 24 • MONDAY | 5 – 9 p.m. Harper Center C-07Learn More | Add to Calendar

Accelerator Program Information Session FEBRUARY 27 • THURSDAY | 12 – 1:15 p.m. Harper Center C-03Learn More | Add to Calendar
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship Essentials: Entrepreneurial Selling with Professor Craig Wortmann
There is a damaging and pervasive myth that great products will sell themselves. In reality, great entrepreneurs need to be great salesmen to get their companies off the ground.

In this session of Entrepreneurship Essentials, Professor Craig Wortmann works through the entrepreneurial selling process and explains how crucial developing sales skills are to the success of early ventures.

Click on the image below or watch a video of the presentation here.

Tell us: How has a focus on selling helped your company?

Stay tuned for the next installment of Entrepreneurship Essentials. If you have questions or ideas for topics you would like us to cover, contact Jerome.Goodrich@Chicagobooth.edu.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Should My Team Apply to the NVC or SNVC?
We hear this question often this time of year. If you are deciding between applying to the New Venture Challenge and the Social New Venture Challenge, we’ve put together a few questions and resources to help you decide which track is the best fit for your start-up.

Ask yourself:

Occasionally it is still tough to know which track is best for your team. Remember: You may apply to both tracks. Please submit your application to both tracks separately to be considered for both. Teams will only be allowed to participate in one track.

Additional Resources:

To download the application kit, click here. Feasibility summaries are due this Monday, February 10.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Congratulations Sirens Capital! The Chicago Booth team placed...

Congratulations Sirens Capital! The Chicago Booth team placed second at the regional VCIC competition in San Jose, CA, on February 7.

Learn about how you can get involved with VCIC at Chicago Booth. Read more about the national program on the VCIC website.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: NVC Applicants: You're Invited to the EVC Valentine's Social
The Chicago Booth EVC group invites you to join them for a “love-ly” happy hour to celebrate the completion of NVC applications, midterms, recruiting, and any other toast-worthy occasion.

When: Monday, February 10 @ 7:30pm

Location: Brand New I|O Rooftop bar at The Godfrey Hotel (127 W. HURON)

RSVP Here.https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qhdwJ4o3Iio2yGsDdHq9cBs89AmiXHn6tg_1uEXDPsY/viewform

*This is not a Polsky Center-sponsored event.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Job Alert: Techstars Associate
Interested in becoming a Techstars Associate? You will help build the next amazing batch of internet startups, as they grow from early stage to venture-backed companies.

From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode beyond all reasonable comprehension. You will have the opportunity to sit in on mentor meetings, giving you the chance to get to know the best entrepreneurs and investors in Chicago, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local community.

Applicant Description You should have a strong technical background. Prior experience on the product or technical development side of a business. Demonstrated interest in technology, startups, entrepreneurship, or venture capital.

You should be willing to commit to the equivalent of a full time position for June, July, and August, and be available days, evenings, and basically whenever needed. Schedule is flexible but a strong commitment is expected. Applicants should be able to jump in and complete any task quickly and effectively. You should be a jack of all trades and have a varied technical skill set. We expect a great attitude, desire to learn and meet new people, and lots of energy and enthusiasm. You should be scared of no task and be willing to take on any project, large or small.

General Job Description Tasks will include assisting with the day-to-day operations of the Techstars program, and engaging with and assisting the companies in any areas of need. This can include marketing, business development work, research, and providing regular content (blog posts and photos) to social media manager. Examples of responsibilities: Helping the companies with anything, identifying needs and preparing for upcoming events, organizing meetings and running logistics for special guest mentor visits, taking meeting notes, and setting up office space for events. Associate will report to the Program Manager and Managing Director.

Read a testimonial from one of last year’s Associates, Ryan Fukushima: Top 5 Reasons to Become a Techstars Associate.

Applications due March 21st.

APPLY NOW TO BE A TECHSTARS ASSOCIATE.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Join Us on 2/27 for the Polsky Center Accelerator Program Info Session

Launched in June 2012, the Polsky Center Accelerator Program gives student teams the opportunity to work on their businesses and social enterprises in a collaborative and dynamic environment.

The Accelerator Program accepts 10 teams to participate through a competitive selection process. Teams receive funding, office space, access to Polsky Center staff, coaching from faculty, mentorship from alumni entrepreneurs and Chicago-area investors, and programming designed to help them overcome many of the hurdles to launching a business.

By talking with consumers, investors, and mentors, building prototypes, and continually refining their business models, these start-ups made notable progress over the course of the program and in many cases moved from business plan to launch.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Join us for the MIINT Finals on Monday, February 24
The MBA Impact Investing Network & Training Program (MIINT) is an annual program that culminates in the Impact Investing Competition held at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Over 200 MBAs from 10 business schools across the country including Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Ross (Michigan), Kellogg, Haas, Goizueta (Emory) and the University of Utah will conduct diligence on early stage impact investments and present them to an Investment Committee of venture capital professionals for a potential investment of $50,000. Like the Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC), students receive first-hand experience by interacting with start-up companies in the impact investing process.

Three Chicago Booth teams will present to the investment committee next Monday, February 24. We invite you to watch their presentations in Harper Center C-07 beginning at 5 p.m.

The three presenting teams are pitching companies GeriJoy, a virtual pet who converses with and provides technological help for the elderly; Better Bag, a compostable bag supplier; and Refresh, a vending machine that filters, flavors and bottles water at the point of sale rather than distribution.

The winning team will present at the finals event at Wharton in March, which overlaps with their Impact Investing Conference. Teams will present their analysis to the Investment Committee for a potential investment of $50,000.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship Events @ UChicago: March 2014
The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation invites you to mark your calendar with the many entrepreneurship and private equity programs and events taking place at the University of Chicago and beyond in March 2014.

Follow the links for more information, and check the Polsky Center blog, calendar, and office hours board frequently for new additions.

New Venture Challenge Phase II Orientation March 4 • TUESDAY | 6 – 8 p.m. Harper Center C-25Learn MoreiCal | Google Cal

Legal Office Hours with Barnes & Thornburg March 6 • THURSDAY | 11:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. 1871 (Polsky Center Office)Learn More | iCal | Google Cal

On Board: A Conference on Nonprofit Board Service March 7 • FRIDAY | 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Gleacher Center 6th FloorLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

Financing Innovation & Technology in Healthcare Conference March 14 • FRIDAY | 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. The Union League of ChicagoLearn More | iCal | Google Cal

Global New Venture Challenge Finals and Awards Presentation March 20 • THURSDAY | 1 – 7 p.m. Gleacher Center 300Learn More | iCal | Google Cal
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Digging Into this Year’s Private Equity Conference

Prof. Steven Kaplan, Neiman Marcus CEO Karen Katz, and Carlyle Group’s Kewsong Lee during the fireside chat.

Last Friday, the Polsky Center and the Private Equity Group held the 13th Annual Beecken Petty O’Keefe & Company Private Equity Conference in downtown Chicago. Over 400 students and industry professionals attended the event.

This year’s theme was “Digging In: Driving Returns in Competitive Markets.” Programming focused on the increasingly important ability for private equity firms to drive returns through operational improvements and earnings growth. The keynotes and panels analyzed best practices in portfolio company interaction, human capital management, investment sourcing, and the current state of the fundraising market.

The morning featured a fireside chat with CEO of Neiman Marcus, Karen Katz, and Kewsong Lee from the Carlyle Group moderated by Chicago Booth Neubauer Family Distinguished Service Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance Steven Kaplan. This intimate chat helped the audience to understand the relationship dynamic between the private equity investor and the entrepreneur and focused on how the Carlyle Group and Neiman Marcus worked together through both through financially booming and stressful times to grow the company.

A series of panels followed the fireside chat, including Building a Lasting Firm, Operational Investment Sourcing, The State of Fundraising, The 100 Day Plan and Beyond.

William Conway Jr. ’74, co-CEO and managing director of the Carlyle Group, delivered the lunch keynote, where he spoke about the status of the American economy and gave insight to fellow professionals where they should invest. He showed the audience a typical week’s schedule at the Carlyle Group, where the firm is constantly buying and selling, and encourages his fellow investors to do the same. He joked, “ten years ago, I told everyone the best place to invest is in China. And everyone looked at me as if they wanted to say, ‘What does he know? He’s an American’. Now, I think the best place to invest is in the United States, but they give me the same look, ‘What do I know? He’s an American.’”

Antonio Gracias, CEO and CIO of Valor Equity Partners, followed with an afternoon keynote discussing some of the more technical aspects of growth for private equity investments. The day culminated with a networking reception.

Thank you to our sponsors who made the conference a possibility. We hope to see you at the conference next year.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: 55 Teams Advance in New Venture Challenge, Social NVC, and College NVC

After reviewing over 100 submissions from across the University of Chicago, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the Social Enterprise Initiative, and UChicago Career Advancement are pleased to announce the 55 teams that will participate in Phase II of the 18th Annual Edward L. Kaplan, ‘71, New Venture Challenge, the 4th Annual John Edwardson, ‘72 Social New Venture Challenge, and the 2nd Annual College New Venture Challenge. Congratulations to all of the teams!If you’re interested in joining one of these start-ups, please consider filling out this form, attending the team orientation sessions*, or visiting DoerHub or our LinkedIn group.

Teams listed after the jump!

New Venture Challenge:

• Advanced Micro Electronics – Manufacturing and Distribution
  • Almond Toc – Web/App
  • AutoBike – Manufacturing and Distribution
  • Biobalmex – Manufacturing and Distribution
  • Cancernomics – Medical
  • ChiFX – Web/App
  • CreditServe – Web/App
  • Fixed Rate Power – Web/App 
  • Gearhead Workspace – CPG
  • HighStride – Web/App
  • Inscites Research, Inc. – Medical
  • Integrated Life Systems, Inc. – Medical
  • Janus Choice – Medical
  • LOOPO – Web/App
  • Lumi Health – Software
  • Maize Analytics – Medical
  • MockHire – Web/App
  • Nav Aid – Software
  • Norm’s Farms – CPG
  • ResumeRonin – Web/App
  • RoomVa – Web/App
  • Ruyala – Medical
  • Simple Mills – CPG
  • SmartER.Q – Medical
  • SmartLine – Web/App
  • SynActive Biosciences LLC – Medical
  • TourBudy – Web/App
  • Upawnit – CPG
Social New Venture Challenge:

• Airbanq – Financial Services
  • Alumni in Business – Job Training
  • Farmstacker – Food Scarcity, Agriculture
  • HelloTractor – Agriculture
  • HeroTech – Job Training, Veterans
  • MoleCures – Healthcare
  • Moxie Leadership – Education
  • Pinkthink – Education
  • Resolve – Education, Social Services
  • SensiPrep – Education
  • STEMfunder – Healthcare
  • Think Tank – Education, Science
  • Xun – Education
  • YogaCare – Healthcare
College New Venture Challenge:

• AcadeMe – Education, Technology
  • BlueClip – Web/App
  • Carsurfer – Web/App
  • Clover – Web/App
  • CollegeLately – Web/App
  • Curated – Web/App
  • JMSolutions – Web/App
  • Lensplease – Web/App
  • Phoenix Development Fund – Finance
  • SketchOff – Crowdsource
  • UEvents – Web/App
  • Virtual Learning Experience – Education, Technology
  • Yellowcoin – Web/Finance
Stay tuned to our blog – we will feature several NVC teams as they go through the program.

**Events and Info**

NVC Phase II OrientationTuesday, March 46 – 8 p.m.Harper C-25SNVC Phase II OrientationWednesday, March 55:30 - 8:30 p.m.Gleacher 600CNVC Semi-finalist MeetingThursday, March 612 - 1 p.m.Ida NoyesCNVC FinalsThursday, May 22Harper Center C-25 SNVC FinalsTuesday, May 27Harper Center, C-25NVC FinalsThursday, May 29Harper Center, C-25Innovation ShowcaseThursday, May 294 – 6 p.m.Winter Garden

Want to get involved in the NVC? We are looking for sponsors, mentors, and judges. Contact us. #ChicagoNVC
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Want to join an NVC team?
Check out our team building sheet for...

Want to join an NVC team?

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Hot Off the Presses! Polsky Center News: March 2014

Check out the March issue of the Polsky Center newsletter for updates on entrepreneurship and innovation at UChicago!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Built at UChicago, an undergraduate entrepreneurship group, held...

Built at UChicago, an undergraduate entrepreneurship group, held a mixer on Friday evening with Northwestern University’s EPIC group at the Chicago Innovation Exchange Skydeck, Students broke into groups to see who could build the strongest and tallest structure.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurial Support: How Can We Help You?
We often get questions about how the Polsky Center works with entrepreneurial students. We are strongly committed to supporting your start-ups and other entrepreneurial endeavors. Below we’ve outlined some of the many ways you can take advantage of Polsky Center resources and other start-up programs:

• Spring Quarter Events: Throughout the spring we will host workshops and events on topics related to entrepreneurship and venture creation. Watch our calendar for info and updates.
  • Spring Quarter Office Hours: Check our office hours webpage and sign up to meet with entrepreneurs-in-residence, lawyers, staff, computer science students, alumni, and others throughout the spring term.
  • Innovation Showcase: The Polsky Center is co-hosting the third annual Innovation Showcase on May 29, 2014 in the Harper Center Winter Garden. A select group of start-ups will receive space at the event where they can promote their businesses to students, faculty, NVC judges, and the UChicago community. Learn more and apply for a spot at the Innovation Showcase.
  • New Venture Challenge Phase II: If you are interested in going through the NVC process with another team, we encourage you to add your information and areas of expertise to the NVC Team Building Google doc. You may also create a profile on DoerHub or on the Polsky Center’s NVC LinkedIn group
  • Polsky Center Summer Programming: The Polsky Center runs the Entrepreneurial Internship Program (EIP) and Accelerator Program, allowing students to work on their businesses over the summer. The EIP is open to full-time first-year MBA students and the Accelerator Program is open to all University of Chicago students. Reach out to Hannah Williams for information on the EIP, and Jerome Goodrich for information on the Accelerator Program. 
  • Greater Chicago Entrepreneurial Events: Local organizations such as BuiltinChicago, Technori, and 1871 hold a variety of workshops, networking events, and fast-pitches that are open to any member of the Chicago entrepreneurial community. Many Polsky-affiliated teams have received immense value from these events: exposure to customers, new partners, etc., as well as meaningful advice and contacts.
We encourage you to take advantage of as many of these resources as possible. As always, you can stay up to date on Polsky Center resources through our monthly events email, the Polsky Center blog, and our events calendar.

If you have questions about these resources or would like to suggest other ways that the Polsky Center can support UChicago entrepreneurs, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Ten US Business Schools Compete For $50,000 Investment Opportunity at MIINT Competition

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Booth Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship: Chicago Booth Team Competes in MIINT Competition This Weekend
This Saturday, a team of Chicago Booth MBA students will compete in the third annual MIINT competition.

The MBA Impact Investing Network and Training (MIINT) is a national program that provides opportunities for student-led investment teams from 10 top business schools to source and diligence impact investments.

The Chicago Booth team comprises students Teri Hoffman, Catie Lee, Josh Rogers, Kenichi Hino, and Jessica van der Voorhen. They will represent Chicago-based Better Bag, supplier of 100% compostable bags made of plant-based materials, at the finals competition, which will be hosted by The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. The team was selected after three teams presented their impact investment ideas to a committee of judges at the semi-finals round, held at Chicago Booth on March 24.

At the finals, each team will have 30 minutes to present their final analysis and selection to a committee of impact investing practitioners from across the country. Ron Moelis, the CEO of L and M Development has agreed to consider an investment in the company presented by the winning team in the MIINT competition.

MIINT is an initiative of Bridges IMPACT+, conducted in collaboration with the Wharton Social Impact Initiative.

Good luck to the Chicago Booth team!

Read more about the MIINT competition.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  48   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts