Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 14:20
Hello

I am actually a new member (Just registered 5 min. ago). Just wanted to know about your thoughts on which round would it be better to apply. I am currently planning to apply to Wharton, Stern, and Boston Univ. I was aiming for R2 but seriously it has been kind of difficult. I am still working on my essays and I want to take the GMAT again, as I did not even crack the 500. Considering the competitiveness in these schools I think it is a must to take the GMAT again. I did only study for 1 month however, considering that I had already taken the GRE and figured it would be quite similar. But I was definitely wrong. What do you think? Should I delay to R3 and have a much stronger application and dedicate at least two strong months towards the GMAT? Also, do R3 applicants are at a disadvantage than other applicants?

I'd appreciate any input I can have.

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 14:33
I forgot to mention that I am not currently working, so I do have time to dedicate the necessary time towards my studies.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:13
R3 is much tougher to get an admit because most of the available spots in the class have already been filled from R1 and R2. To be honest, if you are planning to retake the GMAT (and with a score <500 it's probably a good idea to be seriously considered at Wharton or NYU), you're best bet would probably be to focus on the GMAT now and then target R1 or R2 in next year's application cycle. Trying to retake the GMAT and still apply R2 this year is probably not feasible, and applying R3 is really a long shot (and an expensive long shot at $200-$250 per application).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:23
Thanks. You think it would be feasible to go just for Boston Univ. on R2. I know that for Wharton and NYU I'd have to seriously dedicate much more time an for R2 , it would definitely be pushing it. The BU application is basically complete, bar from one essay, I have already finished the other 3. I'd just have to full time study for one month for the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:34
I think Jerz is right. RD 3 is very tough. Also, if you have a sub 500 GMAT, you're not getting in regardless of what round you apply. Is it possible to apply next year?

With respect to BU, if you've already finished most of the essays and you're confident you can improve your GMAT score by 150 pts or so in the next month, then give it a shot. If you're not that confident in your ability to get a better score, I think it would be a good idea to wait longer and just apply next year.
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 08:12
Do you have a good GRE score? I believe Wharton takes the GRE now too, so perhaps you don't even need to do the GMAT again.
Re: R1 , R2, or R3? Please Help   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2009, 08:12